FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IyerSrinivas View Post
    Well, do I need to start workin on Gds an Pis right now or shud I start after the written test?
    i think you should concentrate mainly on your test prep first. While preparing for the verbal section you can improve your reading habits and even you can learn new words. This thing will benefit you in your GD/PI too. After exam you will have enough time for GD/PI prep......

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vibhs View Post
    Well...i had asked whether GDs for admissions to mgt institutes are similar to or diffrent than those conducted for job interviews.
    for a job interview, i think only PI matters and not GDs; and PIs are quite similar in every field except the ques related to that particular field.......

Have u ever faced a GD for a job ????

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rekhalohia View Post
    I am really satisfied with ur advice.But the problem is that I have not joined any coaching institute then how should I do My GD practice??
    For GD practice, it is not necessary to join any coaching institute. You can make yourself up-to-date by reading newspapers, magazines and even internet is the best thing, then you can have GDs in your friend circle....

But if you want to join any coaching institute for your GD/PI prep only then you can join it after your exam i.e. in Dec or Jan. They start their GD/PI classes mainly in Dec end or Jan first week....

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IyerSrinivas View Post
    Well, do I need to start workin on Gds an Pis right now or shud I start after the written test?
    Quote Originally Posted by nipunkesari View Post
    i think you should concentrate mainly on your test prep first. While preparing for the verbal section you can improve your reading habits and even you can learn new words. This thing will benefit you in your GD/PI too. After exam you will have enough time for GD/PI prep......
    Hi srinivas as nipun has mentioned concentrate mainly on test prep right now...GD.PI preparation goes alongside automatically if you read newspaper daily..because normally in a GD you must speak and you must have material to speak..so newspaper will take care of that..rest after the exam you can concentrate solely on that..

best of luck cheers
    B-School Joiners,Please Click
    Moi Blog: (Taken a break) Dissociation
    Quant Thread RC ThreadVerbal Thread Leisure
    PGP Batch IIM Indore 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

One question - Are the GDs used for screening applicants for MBA diffrnt frm those at job interviews? Or are they similar?
    Quote Originally Posted by nipunkesari View Post
    for a job interview, i think only PI matters and not GDs; and PIs are quite similar in every field except the ques related to that particular field.......

Have u ever faced a GD for a job ????
    I will like to differ to what nipun has said...Nipun some comapnies have GD as elimination round...so there GD becomes all the more important... but if u compare MBA Gd's and job GD's theres not much difference ..in both you have to speak and speak well...topic might be different in job gd...may be a technical one..which might not be there in MBA Gd..

Best of Luck

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumit2goody View Post
    I will like to differ to what nipun has said...Nipun some comapnies have GD as elimination round...so there GD becomes all the more important... but if u compare MBA Gd's and job GD's theres not much difference ..in both you have to speak and speak well...topic might be different in job gd...may be a technical one..which might not be there in MBA Gd..

Best of Luck
    i have never heard of it. BTW thanks for the information....

Aficionado
    Locn
    Bangalore India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

I thot that dominating a discussion is the best way to score well. But sum of my friends got rejected in the GD round itself when they tried o cut into others' points. They had a GD round for a job interview. Is it the same for b-schools?

Thanks
    Thanked 123 Times
    in 55 Posts

I thot that dominating a discussion is the best way to score well. But sum of my friends got rejected in the GD round itself when they tried o cut into others' points. They had a GD round for a job interview. Is it the same for b-schools?
    yes of course! you tell me..how can someone be a good manager and colleague if they keep interrupting others' points? You need to understand that others have some great points too.
    The key to doing well in a GD is to put your points across...and also listen to others at the same time...not interrupt them. You need to build a connection with others' points and bring the discussion to a consensus. The more links you make, the more you can lead the GD..and that's EXACTLY what those guys are looking for!
    Honestly, before starting a GD I hardly have 3-4 points of mine, throughout the GD I build upon others' points (not rephrase them, but extend them into new horizons)..and at the end, I've consistently come out on top.
    Two positives in this, you do well yourself, AND get brownie points for helping out your friends by supporting their points. That way you make instant friends, and no1 interrupts you! ....think about it

Aficionado
    Locn
    Chandigarh India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apoorv.sharma View Post
    yes of course! you tell me..how can someone be a good manager and colleague if they keep interrupting others' points? You need to understand that others have some great points too.
    The key to doing well in a GD is to put your points across...and also listen to others at the same time...not interrupt them. You need to build a connection with others' points and bring the discussion to a consensus. The more links you make, the more you can lead the GD..and that's EXACTLY what those guys are looking for!
    Honestly, before starting a GD I hardly have 3-4 points of mine, throughout the GD I build upon others' points (not rephrase them, but extend them into new horizons)..and at the end, I've consistently come out on top.
    Two positives in this, you do well yourself, AND get brownie points for helping out your friends by supporting their points. That way you make instant friends, and no1 interrupts you! ....think about it
    This is intrstin. Points to ponder for sure. Will bear this in mind durin GDs

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShipraKaushik View Post
    This is intrstin. Points to ponder for sure. Will bear this in mind durin GDs
    Rightly said by apoorv

One has to keep in mind that it is similar to a corporate discussion where you will like to listen to all your colleagues before coming to a discussion...in a 15 min GD try to speak for 3 times and i mean proper 3 times in which u make sense and get heard and you are sure to get a good impression

Intern
    Locn
    Faridabad India
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumit2goody View Post
    Rightly said by apoorv

One has to keep in mind that it is similar to a corporate discussion where you will like to listen to all your colleagues before coming to a discussion...in a 15 min GD try to speak for 3 times and i mean proper 3 times in which u make sense and get heard and you are sure to get a good impression
    Nice bit of info there Will try doin that.

Aficionado
    Locn
    Hyderabad India
    Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times
    in 2 Posts

How to practice group discussion? I have not joined any classes. So how can I practice it?

Thanks
    Thanked 123 Times
    in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JNeetu View Post
    How to practice group discussion? I have not joined any classes. So how can I practice it?
    you can pratice picking up random arguments and discuss among friends. I thought everyone in college/hostels do it (they even have a 'name' for it :P ) we do it all the time. take up topics that range from politics, religion, love, current affairs, disputable topics, controversial, general (on which ANYONE and EVERYONE has something to say..those which are highly likely to become fish markets inducers) and start discussing.
    Collect some good points from your friends, make some of your own.

And not to worry, once you're done with your MBA exams, and get calls, you'll have plenty of time to join some GD classes.

Aficionado
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apoorv.sharma View Post
    you can pratice picking up random arguments and discuss among friends. I thought everyone in college/hostels do it (they even have a 'name' for it :P ) we do it all the time. take up topics that range from politics, religion, love, current affairs, disputable topics, controversial, general (on which ANYONE and EVERYONE has something to say..those which are highly likely to become fish markets inducers) and start discussing.
    Collect some good points from your friends, make some of your own.

And not to worry, once you're done with your MBA exams, and get calls, you'll have plenty of time to join some GD classes.
    classes are there only for gd nad pi? because many people are not giving cat in our college so no one does discussion and all.

Thanks
    Thanked 123 Times
    in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruchi.Desai View Post
    classes are there only for gd nad pi? because many people are not giving cat in our college so no one does discussion and all.
    oh cmon...ppl who are taking the CAT aren't the only ones who "discuss" stuff..dun you have heated discussions with your frndz on random topics? timepass kaise karte ho? like the latest IPL match, is IPL worth it? reviews for Nano?, future of the economy, job market crisis, worth of an MBA in today's world, being 100% good at one thing or being 1% good at 100 things?....cmon..if I can think of such topics off-hand, you can too...just start TALKING!, that's what a GD is about (a little bit more formal, but relatively the same!)..if your friends dont, then you have to take the initiative...
    Good Luck!

Intern
    Locn
    Bengaluru / Bangalore India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

thanks u for sharing ur preparation strategies, preparation material, your experience on the GD and PI.........

Aficionado
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Post How to do well in the Group Discussion

thanks a lot.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FON
    Riddhi Pandya.

Aficionado
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

thanx 2 share.....i will helpful 4 us...

Stranger
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

hey thanks gourav,....... this was realy nice article.......

Stranger
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Hi gourav ,i read your above comment... i want to ask ,why does a GD always end up into a fish market,i do understand that everyone wants to present their views....is there a reason for it.....and if i'm trying to present a point and someone else cuts me in between...do i say "allow me to finsh my point"...or do i wait for him to finish his and then get back to my point...or start with a new point...thankyou