FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Verbal Ability

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul.Mahale View Post
    Is option 4 ECBD the correct answer? Bcoz logically the next sentence in the para cant be option B or D that is y option 4
    Yes Rahul.. Good Job!! ECBD is the right answer!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

In each question, there are five sentences/paragraphs. The sentence/ paragraph labelled A is in its correct place. The four that follow are labelled B, C, D and E, and need to be arranged in the logical order to form a coherent paragraph/passage. From the given options, choose the most appropriate option.

A. Personal experience of mothering and motherhood are largely framed in relation to two discernible or “official” discourses; the “medical discourse and natural childbirth discourse”. Both of these tend to focus on the “optimistic stories” of birth and mothering and underpin stereotypes of the “godmother”.
    B. At the same time, the need for medical expert guidance is also a feature for contemporary reproduction and motherhood. But constructions of good mothering have not always been so conceived and in different contexts may exist in parallel to other equally dominant discourses.
    C. Similarly, historical work has shown how what are now taken for granted aspects of reproduction and mothering practices result from contemporary “pseudoscientific directives” and “managed constructs”. These changes have led to a reframing of modern discourses that pattern pregnancy and motherhood leading to an acceptance of the need for greater expert management.
    D. The contrasting, overlapping and ambiguous strands with in these frameworks focus to varying degrees on a woman’s biological tie to her child and predisposition to instinctively know and be able to care for her child.
    E. In addition, a third, “unofficial popular discourse” comprising “old wives” tales and based on maternal experiences of childbirth has also been noted. These discourses have also been acknowledged in work exploring the experiences of those who apparently do not “conform” to conventional stereotypes of the “good mother”?

(1) EDBC
    (2) BCED
    (3) DBCE
    (4) EDCB
    (5) BCDE

Stranger
    Locn
    sheopur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Hi friends,
    as per as my point of view option 1 is correct

Locn
    Nagpur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PRIncess View Post
    In each question, there are five sentences/paragraphs. The sentence/ paragraph labelled A is in its correct place. The four that follow are labelled B, C, D and E, and need to be arranged in the logical order to form a coherent paragraph/passage. From the given options, choose the most appropriate option.

A. Personal experience of mothering and motherhood are largely framed in relation to two discernible or “official” discourses; the “medical discourse and natural childbirth discourse”. Both of these tend to focus on the “optimistic stories” of birth and mothering and underpin stereotypes of the “godmother”.
    B. At the same time, the need for medical expert guidance is also a feature for contemporary reproduction and motherhood. But constructions of good mothering have not always been so conceived and in different contexts may exist in parallel to other equally dominant discourses.
    C. Similarly, historical work has shown how what are now taken for granted aspects of reproduction and mothering practices result from contemporary “pseudoscientific directives” and “managed constructs”. These changes have led to a reframing of modern discourses that pattern pregnancy and motherhood leading to an acceptance of the need for greater expert management.
    D. The contrasting, overlapping and ambiguous strands with in these frameworks focus to varying degrees on a woman’s biological tie to her child and predisposition to instinctively know and be able to care for her child.
    E. In addition, a third, “unofficial popular discourse” comprising “old wives” tales and based on maternal experiences of childbirth has also been noted. These discourses have also been acknowledged in work exploring the experiences of those who apparently do not “conform” to conventional stereotypes of the “good mother”?

(1) EDBC
    (2) BCED
    (3) DBCE
    (4) EDCB
    (5) BCDE
    i think option 1 is correct. E has to follow A while D has to follow E. C seems to follow B. Hence, I think option 1 is the correct 1. Am I right PRIncess???

Intern
    Locn
    Faridabad India
    Thanks

Default Option 1!

I think option 1 has to be the answer as sentence E describes a third kind an all. An there is just 1 option startin with sentence E. So Option 1.

Intern
    Locn
    Chennai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Opt 1...
    E shud start as it continues with the 3rd pt after the 1st and 2nd pt in A.
    D discuss on the same.
    Where D ends with (able to care for her child)
    B is more likely to follow as it contrast ... (at the same time...medical experts guidance)
    C concludes the discussion perfectly... am i rite ??? princess (correct me werever Im wrong...Thanks)

Master
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times
    in 2 Posts

Cool

I think th option 5 is best and right. Is it? Can u tell m?

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Great work, Guys!!

M glad to see this thread getting a better response. The correct answer is, indeed, Option 1.. So Streethawk, Shree and Aakash.. Good Job!! Abhay, keep attempting questions here and am sure u'll catch up with all of us!!

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Here.. attempt this one!!

Instructions to solve this set are the same as the previous two questions.

A. Indonesia has experienced dramatic shifts in its formal governance arrangements since the fall of President Soeharto and the close of his centralized, authoritarian "New Order" regime in 1997.

B. The political system has taken its place in the nearly 10 years since Reformasi began. It has featured the active contest for political office among a proliferation of parties at central, provincial and district levels; direct elections for the presidency (since 2004); and radical changes in centre-local government relations towards administrative, fiscal, and political decentralization.

C. The mass media, once tidily under Soeharto's thumb, has experienced significant liberalization as has the legal basis for non-governmental organizations, including many dedicated to such controversial issues as corruption control and human rights.

D. Such developments are seen optimistically by a number of donors and some external analysts, who interpret them as signs of Indonesia's political normalization.

E. A different group of analysts paint a picture in which the institutional forms have changed, but power relations have not. Vedi Hadiz argues that Indonesia's "democratic transition" has been anything but linear.

(1) BDEC
    (2) CBDE
    (3) CEBD
    (4) DEBC
    (5) BCDE

Intern
    Locn
    Chennai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Opt 5....

Aficionado
    Locn
    Bangalore India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

What is the best way to go abt such questions?

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vibhs View Post
    What is the best way to go abt such questions?
    I'll tell u what works for me. I find certain keywords in a sentence. Using those keywords, I try to find a logical flow. Once a flow is established, I get the answer. It's pretty simple actually. You just need to keep your eyes open for a certain flow in the paragraph which will make one sentence lead to another. The keywords I mentioned earlier help you do just that..

Locn
    Nagpur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Here.. attempt this one!!

Instructions to solve this set are the same as the previous two questions.

A. Indonesia has experienced dramatic shifts in its formal governance arrangements since the fall of President Soeharto and the close of his centralized, authoritarian "New Order" regime in 1997.

B. The political system has taken its place in the nearly 10 years since Reformasi began. It has featured the active contest for political office among a proliferation of parties at central, provincial and district levels; direct elections for the presidency (since 2004); and radical changes in centre-local government relations towards administrative, fiscal, and political decentralization.

C. The mass media, once tidily under Soeharto's thumb, has experienced significant liberalization as has the legal basis for non-governmental organizations, including many dedicated to such controversial issues as corruption control and human rights.

D. Such developments are seen optimistically by a number of donors and some external analysts, who interpret them as signs of Indonesia's political normalization.

E. A different group of analysts paint a picture in which the institutional forms have changed, but power relations have not. Vedi Hadiz argues that Indonesia's "democratic transition" has been anything but linear.

(1) BDEC
    (2) CBDE
    (3) CEBD
    (4) DEBC
    (5) BCDE

I can see a logical flow if the order is ABCDE only. I don't think anything needs to be rearranged. So, I'll go with option 5. Am I correct, Princess??

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Good Job Shree and Streethawk.. 4 marks to both of u

Aficionado
    Locn
    Chandigarh India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Hey Princess! Why did u disclose the answer? I actually saw the answer 1st and then read the question. Well, still i tried to try and reason out for the same. And i did get the answer right. The flow is what does the trick.

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Here's another question:

A. I had six thousand acres of land, arid had thus got much spare land besides the coffee plantation. Part of the farm was native forest, and about one thousand acres were squatters' land, what [the Kikuyu] called their shambas.

B. The squatters' land was more intensely alive than the rest of the farm, and was changing with the seasons the year round. The maize grew up higher than your head as you walked on the narrow hard-trampled footpaths in between the tall green rustling regiments.

C. The squatters are Natives, who with their families hold a few acres on a white man's farm, and in return have to work for him a certain number of days in the year. - My squatters, I think, saw the relationship in a different light, for many of them were born on the farm, and their fathers befor them, and they very likely regarded me as a sort of superior squatter on their estates.

D. The Kikuyu also grew the sweet potatoes that have a vine like leaf and spread over the ground like a dense entangled mat, and many varieties of big yellow and green speckled pumpkins.

E. The beans ripened in the fields, were gathered and thrashed by the women, and the maize stalk and coffee pods were collected and burned, so that in certain seasons thin blue columns of smoke rose here and there all over the farm.

(1) CBDE
    (2) BCDE
    (3) CBED
    (4) DBCE
    (5) EDBC

Locn
    Nagpur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Question

Here's another question:

A. I had six thousand acres of land, arid had thus got much spare land besides the coffee plantation. Part of the farm was native forest, and about one thousand acres were squatters' land, what [the Kikuyu] called their shambas.

B. The squatters' land was more intensely alive than the rest of the farm, and was changing with the seasons the year round. The maize grew up higher than your head as you walked on the narrow hard-trampled footpaths in between the tall green rustling regiments.

C. The squatters are Natives, who with their families hold a few acres on a white man's farm, and in return have to work for him a certain number of days in the year. - My squatters, I think, saw the relationship in a different light, for many of them were born on the farm, and their fathers befor them, and they very likely regarded me as a sort of superior squatter on their estates.

D. The Kikuyu also grew the sweet potatoes that have a vine like leaf and spread over the ground like a dense entangled mat, and many varieties of big yellow and green speckled pumpkins.

E. The beans ripened in the fields, were gathered and thrashed by the women, and the maize stalk and coffee pods were collected and burned, so that in certain seasons thin blue columns of smoke rose here and there all over the farm.

(1) CBDE
    (2) BCDE
    (3) CBED
    (4) DBCE
    (5) EDBC
    I think a coherent paragraph is formed if the sentences are arranged as ACBED. Hence option 3 is correct. Am I right PRIncess????

Intern
    Locn
    Faridabad India
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StreetHawk View Post
    I think a coherent paragraph is formed if the sentences are arranged as ACBED. Hence option 3 is correct. Am I right PRIncess????
    I have a similar opinion. Option 3 CBED.

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 43 Times
    in 27 Posts

In the question, there are five sentences/paragraphs. The sentence/ paragraph labelled A is in its correct place. The four that follow are labelled B, C, D and E, and need to be arranged in the logical order to form a coherent paragraph/passage. From the given options, choose the most appropriate option.

A. In America, highly educated women, who are in stronger position in the labour market than less qualified ones, have higher rates of marriage than other groups.

B. Some works supports the Becker thesis, and some appears to contradict it.

C. And, as with crime, it is equally inconclusive.

D. But regardless of the conclusion of any particular piece of work, it is hard to establish convincing connections between family changes and economic factors using conventional approaches.

E. Indeed, just as with crime, an enormous academic literature exists on the validity of the pure economic approach to the evolution of family structures.

(1) BCDE
    (2) DBEC
    (3) BDCE
    (4) ECBD
    (5) EDCD
    agreed the answer is option 4:
    but i am not able to make corrrect connection between E and C...
    help me friends....
    Last edited by shweta1024; 18-Mar-09 at 11:39 PM.

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 43 Times
    in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AakashK View Post
    I have a similar opinion. Option 3 CBED.
    same here