FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Verbal Ability

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times
    in 2 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

Hey guys. Started this topic to discuss about all the other non-RC questions. I guess they are as important as RC.

To start off, after cat 07, how important is grammar, vocab. do i need to do it? what if it does not come in 08?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Questforglory For This Useful Post:

prakkash_dj (15-Apr-10)

Locn
    MUMBAI India
    Thanks

Post Verbal Ability

I think grammer and vocab are equally important.
    Dont ignore them especially vocab for CAT08 because with CAT u never know.::

Neophyte
    Locn
    Pune India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

whoa vocab? GRE style mugging up is it?

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

I luvv the verbal ability section.. Infact dis is da only one I'm good at!!
    edited by PRIncess on 9/26/2008

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times
    in 2 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

Quote Originally Posted by PRIncess
    I luvv the verbal ability section.. Infact dis is da only one I'm good at!!
    Can't do that. Need to work on all the section in order to clear CAT. Or i might start preparing for CET directly. No bothering with sections there.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times
    in 2 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

What about the other stuff? How do you get all those other question types? I find FIJ to be a pain in the.....

Stranger
    Locn
    Jaipur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

Whats tricks for learning vocab. plz. tell me

Enthusiast
    Locn
    mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

PRincess aapka raaz kya hai? Do you read a lots of books and novels? for me this goes on a complete toss, i get lost in the passage

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times
    in 797 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

Some tips below on preparing for Verbal Ability in CAT:

CAT at one point in time was about reading speed, grammar, and vocabulary. While difficult to crack, it had a clear pattern that could be prepared for. The last twos years (07 & 06) CATís have made it a test that is not based on speed, nor on understanding the meaning of words.
    Is it then, time to throw away the good old reading habits? How does one prepare in the current situation for CAT?
    First thing to keep in mind is that the basics donít change. By making the test one of reasoning skills rather than that of pure memory, the CAT test makers have added an extra layer of thinking before you can arrive at the answer. This, unfortunately, does not give you the liberty of bypassing the basic steps of being well-read, knowing a broad range of words, and understanding the finer nuances of language. Rather, these become a first step in doing well.
    Hence, you need to continue to improve your command of the English language by reading widely, brushing up your grammar, and knowing, not memorising words. The next step is to improve your reasoning skills in the kind of questions that have appeared recently. While reading an editorial, try asking yourself, what is the key point in this paragraph? Why did the editor start the paragraph in this specific manner, or end it? Once you make this a habit in your reading, it will give you tremendous insights into how passages are structured.
    Happy Preparation.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TestFunda For This Useful Post:

abhinaysingh.87 (29-Jul-09), aditya4786 (21-Dec-09), amitladdu (16-Aug-09), ankit_panghal (10-Jul-09), doodlums (05-Aug-09), hirenrana (12-May-10), Munish241 (17-Sep-09), pikolo2510 (22-Sep-13), prafs1160 (15-Jun-11), sbharathindia (28-Dec-09), smrata (29-Oct-09), styxnexus (04-Mar-10)

Neophyte
    Locn
    panjim India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

Quote Originally Posted by Questforglory
    Hey guys. Started this topic to discuss about all the other non-RC questions. I guess they are as important as RC.

To start off, after cat 07, how important is grammar, vocab. do i need to do it? what if it does not come in 08?

CAT is CAT and DAT will remain DAT,
    you skip something and that something can skip you,
    Grow into all you can rather than growing it all in you,
    get the message in this text? else you miss on verbal part too!!!!

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Bombay India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Post Verbal Ability

Hi Questy,
    FIJ is not a pain (where the sun don't shine) when you know how...
    Check out the FIJ section in Skill Builder. It's a piece of cake.

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

In the question, there are five sentences/paragraphs. The sentence/ paragraph labelled A is in its correct place. The four that follow are labelled B, C, D and E, and need to be arranged in the logical order to form a coherent paragraph/passage. From the given options, choose the most appropriate option.

A. In America, highly educated women, who are in stronger position in the labour market than less qualified ones, have higher rates of marriage than other groups.

B. Some works supports the Becker thesis, and some appears to contradict it.

C. And, as with crime, it is equally inconclusive.

D. But regardless of the conclusion of any particular piece of work, it is hard to establish convincing connections between family changes and economic factors using conventional approaches.

E. Indeed, just as with crime, an enormous academic literature exists on the validity of the pure economic approach to the evolution of family structures.

(1) BCDE
    (2) DBEC
    (3) BDCE
    (4) ECBD
    (5) EDCD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PRIncess For This Useful Post:

sairamteja (15-Feb-14)

Locn
    Nagpur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PRIncess View Post
    In the question, there are five sentences/paragraphs. The sentence/ paragraph labelled A is in its correct place. The four that follow are labelled B, C, D and E, and need to be arranged in the logical order to form a coherent paragraph/passage. From the given options, choose the most appropriate option.

A. In America, highly educated women, who are in stronger position in the labour market than less qualified ones, have higher rates of marriage than other groups.

D. But regardless of the conclusion of any particular piece of work, it is hard to establish convincing connections between family changes and economic factors using conventional approaches.

E. Indeed, just as with crime, an enormous academic literature exists on the validity of the pure economic approach to the evolution of family structures.

(1) BCDE
    (2) DBEC
    (3) BDCE
    (4) ECBD
    (5) EDCD
    Hi PRIncess, I think the answer is option 3: BDCE. I feel that the paragraph becomes coherent in this case. Am I right??

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Sorry dude, da answer ain't correct. But u're close. try again. m sure u'll get it. From this answer, I'm sure u've at least understood da funda to this question.. So congo.. If I cud, I'd award u 2/4 for dis qn..

Locn
    Nagpur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times
    in 4 Posts

Hi PRIncess is da answer Option 4, then? ECBD.. I knew from the beginning that BD and CE have to go together.. Am I right??

Master
    Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times
    in 2 Posts

(1) BCDE
    (2) DBEC
    (3) BDCE
    (4) ECBD
    (5) EDCD
    Option 2 is the answer ....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to surabhigupta For This Useful Post:

sairamteja (15-Feb-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StreetHawk View Post
    Hi PRIncess is da answer Option 4, then? ECBD.. I knew from the beginning that BD and CE have to go together.. Am I right??
    Yeah!! Dis time U R rite!! Congo.. Good Job, Sharad! I'm impressed!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PRIncess For This Useful Post:

sharad.er (22-Sep-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 113 Times
    in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by surabhigupta View Post
    Option 2 is the answer ....
    It ain't corrrect. Good try, though!!

from the option u've selected I get that u got ur fundas rite!

Locn
    Bhusawal India
    Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

(1) BCDE
    (2) DBEC
    (3) BDCE
    (4) ECBD
    (5) EDCD
    I used POE with the options and think ECBD is the most appropriate order

Intern
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Is option 4 ECBD the correct answer? Bcoz logically the next sentence in the para cant be option B or D that is y option 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 21 ... LastLast