FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times
    in 797 Posts

Post Online Debate #03 - Modern India still believes in superstitions and astrology.

Online Debate #03 - Modern India still believes in superstitions and astrology.

A virtual forum to hone your debating skills.

Click on the above link to view the resource

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times
    in 797 Posts

Post Online Debate #03 - Modern India still believes in superstitions and astrology.

For :
    The debate has now begun.

TestFunda's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here

Master
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

For :
    yes this is true in context of rural India, but it doesn't hold true for most of the urban India. But I believe that day is not far when every one would start believing in these superstition, thanx to India TV.

ashishchem's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    Yes i am for it. I dont think so there is any modern India when it comes to superstitious beliefs and belief in god.It is almost the same only the people mask their feelings and do not say as openly as they did in the earlier period.

sbharathindia's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here
    I will Rise and rise until I can clear CAT.

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    When it comes to astrology however there is no change at all people believe the same. In one famous TV Debate show NEEYA NAANA(TAMIL VIJAY TV,SUNDAY-9-10.30 PM) some famous astrologers were called and were asked to predict peoples ability their like dislike etc. most(almost 90%) of their predictions turned out to be wrong.

sbharathindia's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    One most common superstitious beliefs present now is(even in urban area),Not going for a place if a cat crosses a person. There are not many person whom u can see as without any superstitious belief in India.

Neophyte
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

For :
    I agree with the statement . In spite of the fact India has made tremendous progress in the field of science and technology we still are under the influence of superstitions and astrology. In many parts of the country various rituals like 'animal killing' are conducted to appease god . many people believe in astrology . Switch to any news channel and one would find various astrolgers predicting future ans advising people which stone to wear to change their fortune

dipu02me's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here

Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 13 Times
    in 13 Posts

For :
    I would say modern India still believes in superstitions and astrology because you can see the overwhelming amount of importance it is given in the newspaper. No other article or column is given such space as the astrology section

bell_the_cat's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    yes leave alone animal killing people also kill other people to appease god(though not prevalent in Urban India It is very much prevalent in rural India).

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Against :
    superstiton and astrology are not on sam side of a coin
    still many superstitious beliefs exist which are hampering the development of india..caste system beliefs and distrimnation on one caste creed etc are not good for society

ankurganjoo's comment against the topic. To participate in debate please click here

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    And in villages and even in cities Scheduled cast people are not allowed in The room where idols of god are kept and prayer is done they think that it reduces the sanctity of them while they keep them as servants and ask them to clean all rooms except that.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Against :
    @sbharat...kiling animals to appease god is still prevailing but what is more schoking is that som ppl on the pretext of pleasing godess sacrifrace their own child.....this has been reported various times comon this type of superstition still prevailing is schoking

ankurganjoo's comment against the topic. To participate in debate please click here

Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 13 Times
    in 13 Posts

Against :
    but one would say that the number of people believeing in it is slowly on the decrease. A majority of the people are becoming more spiritual and less superstitious.

bell_the_cat's comment against the topic. To participate in debate please click here

Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 13 Times
    in 13 Posts

For :
    to know how prevalent astrology is just look at the facebook applications that give your daily/hourly hororscope and the nmber of people who use it to feel secure and reassure themselves

bell_the_cat's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    I think the major reason for the superstitious belief is wrong way of taking a religious practice. And some of the religious practices may be relevant at the old times but it will be irrelevant today but people are under the deception that they are the rule and they should follow it. This is one common source of Superstitious belief in India.

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Against :
    coming to astrology ...we can 't completely overrule wheter it is correct or not....but i beleive instead of bothering abt wht will happen 2morow ,we should live in today...if we are able to make our 2day beter ,our future ll be bright ...god krishna has said in Bhagwat Gita"do u work and leave the fruit of your action to god" always giv ur best ...why to boter abt astrology...

Neophyte
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

For :
    I doubt if the number of people believing in superstition and astrology is on the decrease. Superstition , to to some extent might have lost ground but not astrology. With the no of tv shows on astrology on the rise , it would bring more no of people under its influence. these days , one would find every second guy wearing some or other stone just appease god and for better results in his endeavor

dipu02me's comment in favor of the topic. To participate in debate please click here

Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 13 Times
    in 13 Posts

For :
    just look at Bejan Daruvallah he recenlty sold his so called legacy to GaneshaSpeaks.com and had to set up a call centre to take his calls because he gets 30000 calls per day. and more than 2 million page views a month

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

For :
    Quote Originally Posted by dipu02me View Post
    For :
    I doubt if the number of people believing in superstition and astrology is on the decrease. Superstition , to to some extent might have lost ground but not astrology. With the no of tv shows on astrology on the rise , it would bring more no of people under its influence. these days , one would find every second guy wearing some or other stone just appease god and for better results in his endeavor

Yes another evidence is many Cell phone providers are providing Astrology details. It is also making good buisness for them.

Aficionado
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Against :
    Though one can see that during the eclipse everyone goes a little crazy and one hears all sorts of things in the newspaper(i would say it is similar to the Friday the 13th scare of the west) education has changed quite a bit. no longer do people worry about curses or wonder if they should do a najjar nikal ne ka pooja so that their house is safe

iim_or_bust's comment against the topic. To participate in debate please click here