FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By implex
  • 1 Post By tina

Thread: GD-PI Topics and Disscussion for IIMs - 2010

Locn
    Mumabi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 43 Times
    in 27 Posts

Default GD-PI Topics and Disscussion for IIMs - 2010

Now CAT 2009 Re-test is over, also most of the other MBA entrance exams.

We can now discuss more about the second phase of the selection process i.e. GD-PI here.

Based on the feedback collected form some of the students in past years, common guidelines for IIM GD and Case study:

Participants per group: 6 to 14
    Time: 10 to 25 min
    Moderators: 2 to 4

Process:

After the GD topic is given, the candidates are provided with at least 2 minutes to think and prepare points for the discussion. Whereas in case of Case Study, at least 4-5 minutes are given to prepare the points. In IIM A and I in some specific cases students reported that they could not read the entire case before the start

Seating Arrangement:

The students are made to sit in a semi-circular or C-shaped arrangement facing a panel of two to four members (people from a wide variety of backgrounds).

We will discuss one past year's IIM GD topic here every day.

Lets start with IIMB GD topic for 2008:

English should be made the official working language and Hindi a regional language

Please post your views on this.
    CAT : 06 (98.6) 07 (97.3) 08 (99.49, L) 09 (90.56, BLI)
    XAT : 10 (98.92, XL - PM&IR) ... NMAT : 10 (NMIMS)
    Converts : 09 (B)

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

Default English should be made the official working language and Hindi a regional language

Yes indeed English should be made as official working language. It helps in a great deal to government.First, Government records are now printed both in English and Regional language but instead if we use only English that can save Huge money to government.

Hindi as being our National language should be made as regional language and Government should take step to Improve its status in India nevertheless They should not forget the Fact that India is multilingual and other languages status should not be disturbed to improve Hindi's status.

Virtuoso
    Thanks

I disagree with this. Instead of promoting Hindi which is our national language we are relegating it to second fiddle if we make English as official language.If Hindi will be used as official language ,we will able to preserve otherwise ,it will be extinct as dodo.No doubt,English is international language & it is equally important but not at the cost of Hindi.
    There are number of countries which do not follow English like Japan,China,Russia etc. & still they are one of the developed nation of the world.
    We are emerging as one of the most economically fast growing nation & we are moving through economic independency. Its high time that we should also march towards language independency.

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 305 Times
    in 203 Posts

Some insights based on Last years GD-PI process

IIM A : No GD. A ten minute essay to be written in the space provided in the form, the space is good enough for about 200-250 words. Essay topics can be very general to very weird. Then PI process, generally there are 8 students per panel per slot.

IIM C PGDM: A group of 8-12 people, depending on how many people have both PGDM and PGDCM calls. The GD is about 12 minutes and then you get to summarise. Each person gets 1 -2 minute to summarise. You may or may not be asked to write a summary. Then PI process.

IIM C PGDCM: If you have both calls, you get to take only 1 GD but two different PIs. If you have one of the two calls you will have one GD and one PI. For details see IIM C PGDM .

IIM L: You get to write an essay for 20 minutes then you have GD on the same topic for about 15 minutes. The group size may vary from 6-15. Then the PI process.

IIM I: Case study for GD of about 25-30 minutes, 10 minutes to think 15 to discuss. You have to give a written summary as well as your thought process. You may or may not be asked to write in points. Typical group size is 10-15 but generally 2-4 students per group are missing. Then the PI process

IIM K: GD for 15-20 minutes. Typical group size is 10-15. The messiest of all GDs, almost all of them are fish markets. Followed by PI. The GD topic may be a case study in some slots.

XLRI PMIR: GD for 20 minutes, mostly you get a list of things and you have to prioritize them and then discuss and list the group priorities. Very messy sometimes. You wont get time to speak as there are generally too many girls . Followed by a comprehensive PI session.

All these are my personal inputs as I appeared for the GD PI process of all of the above.
    sid2222000 likes this.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to implex For This Useful Post:

ghochu123 (03-Feb-10), sumit2goody (03-Feb-10), tina (03-Feb-10)

Locn
    Mumabi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 43 Times
    in 27 Posts

Default IIMC Past GD Topic - Can India compete with China?

Toady's topic is from IIMC:

Can India compete with China?
    marfaniafzal likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tina For This Useful Post:

dna261 (02-Oct-11)

Intern
    Locn
    meerut India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghochu123 View Post
    I disagree with this. Instead of promoting Hindi which is our national language we are relegating it to second fiddle if we make English as official language.If Hindi will be used as official language ,we will able to preserve otherwise ,it will be extinct as dodo.No doubt,English is international language & it is equally important but not at the cost of Hindi.
    There are number of countries which do not follow English like Japan,China,Russia etc. & still they are one of the developed nation of the world.
    We are emerging as one of the most economically fast growing nation & we are moving through economic independency. Its high time that we should also march towards language independency.
    I totally agree with ghochu123.

Locn
    Mumabi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 43 Times
    in 27 Posts

Default GD Topic from IIML -> India’s population – is it a resource or a liability?

Today's GD Topic from IIML:

India’s population – is it a resource or a liability?

Please write your views here.

Master
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tina View Post
    Now CAT 2009 Re-test is over, also most of the other MBA entrance exams.

We can now discuss more about the second phase of the selection process i.e. GD-PI here.

Based on the feedback collected form some of the students in past years, common guidelines for IIM GD and Case study:

Participants per group: 6 to 14
    Time: 10 to 25 min
    Moderators: 2 to 4

Process:

After the GD topic is given, the candidates are provided with at least 2 minutes to think and prepare points for the discussion. Whereas in case of Case Study, at least 4-5 minutes are given to prepare the points. In IIM A and I in some specific cases students reported that they could not read the entire case before the start

Seating Arrangement:

The students are made to sit in a semi-circular or C-shaped arrangement facing a panel of two to four members (people from a wide variety of backgrounds).

We will discuss one past year's IIM GD topic here every day.

Lets start with IIMB GD topic for 2008:

English should be made the official working language and Hindi a regional language

Please post your views on this.
    Great Techniques to share here your thoughts and Idea..

Intern
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Can somebody give me an idea about the probable dates for GD/PI process of various IIMs, provided the results are coming on 12th of january? If you know from your past experience or somehow.

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks

found a site with all topics asked in last years IIM essay -GDs...Essays for IIM GD-PI process, IIM GD PI preparation, IIM essay topics,XAT essay ..hope it helps...

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paggie View Post
    Can somebody give me an idea about the probable dates for GD/PI process of various IIMs, provided the results are coming on 12th of january? If you know from your past experience or somehow.
    shud start by mid-Feb...

Stranger
    Locn
    Delhi India
    Thanks

Default An interesting blog to read on current topics

I was searching through to read on current topics and came across this interesting blog. It seems to be a blog of a consulting firm. Just though of sharing it with you, it may help us in preparing on current topics for GDs. here is the link for the same: http://www.blog.365businessdays.com/ Hope you will find it useful.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pankajkr79 For This Useful Post:

rrriitg (06-Mar-11)

Intern
    Locn
    Surat India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Exclamation Huge Problem..need Help!!

Hi Guys Lemme just come straight to the point, I was working in L&T Heavy Engineering Division, and I worked there for two years. But as I had to work in long and rotating shifts, I was not able to prepare for cat or any other MBA exams properly. So i left the company and started working in a very small company as a Marketing Head, in delhi whose revenue is somewhere around 1 crore..it gave me enough time to prepare for the CAT as well..But now in every interview I get screwed badly on why i switched from such a huge reputed company to a small company..Mostly my answer is that I was getting an opportunity to start a business from the scratch..and I joined in because I thought it to be a very good learning experience. But somehow I am not able to convince the Interviewer...and I have faced 2 interviews..at least they grill me on this topic for hal an hour..what should I do..do help me guys because the biggies like MDI, IMT and TISS are yet to come..so please pour in and help me!!

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 25 Times
    in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by divakar.narayan View Post
    Hi Guys Lemme just come straight to the point, I was working in L&T Heavy Engineering Division, and I worked there for two years. But as I had to work in long and rotating shifts, I was not able to prepare for cat or any other MBA exams properly. So i left the company and started working in a very small company as a Marketing Head, in delhi whose revenue is somewhere around 1 crore..it gave me enough time to prepare for the CAT as well..But now in every interview I get screwed badly on why i switched from such a huge reputed company to a small company..Mostly my answer is that I was getting an opportunity to start a business from the scratch..and I joined in because I thought it to be a very good learning experience. But somehow I am not able to convince the Interviewer...and I have faced 2 interviews..at least they grill me on this topic for hal an hour..what should I do..do help me guys because the biggies like MDI, IMT and TISS are yet to come..so please pour in and help me!!
    Disclaimer first: I am first timer as far as giving MBA interviews are concerned.

May be you can try to be honest and straight-forward and tell whatever the truth is. They will know that you have one management quality and that is 'Jugaad'.

PS: This is just a suggestion and I am not responsible for your decisions
    PPS: Please share what was your workaround of this problem once you identify it. Some people will find it interesting in future.

Intern
    Locn
    Surat India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Question Me again!

Hi first of all I would LOVE to be honest but the problem is that will not be able to answer the questions which will follow after my answer..questions like...so u couldnt manage time for studying with job, dont you think taking you would be unjustifiable to those who didnt leave their job and still got more than you? In future you may well leave your wife because she doesnnt let you work..or vice versa..and there are a million missiles they can fire..and I wouldnt stand a chnace..but I will write my answer in few days...i m sure i will come up with something good...but any help is always welcom

Stranger
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Default GDs and Essays

Hi all,

I am new to testfunda. I have got calls from IIM A and B and I am expecting a few more. With tight work schedule I am not being able to devote enough time to prepare for GDs and Essays. I went through the above shared topics and found them useful. I thought it will be good idea for many others like me, if we can share more material, links etc to help each other.

As starters:
    Currently I am using the following:
    1. www.gdprep.com - have loved this site, it's started by two IIMA students. have less number so articles but they have been adding articles on a frequent basis.
    2. www.indiabix.com - many gd topics but a chaos, need to spent a lot of time to find good points. there are likes and dislikes buttons. i read only if a post has over 15 likes
    3. www.studyfreak.com - havent found it much useful yet nor have got enough time to browse the site in detail
    4. I have liked the HBR page on fb, keeps popping articles when i visit facebook and reminds me not to waste time
    5. Have downloaded news aps on my android phone. Good option while travelling

Cheers!
    -SV

Stranger
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

AS CHINDIA (CHINA+INDIA) BOTH HAPPENS TO BE EMERGING NATIONS.CHINA AS 2nd , WE R 7th IN ECONOMIC DOMAIN. WE HAVE LOT TO DO TO COMPETE WITH CHINE

=> FOLLOWING ARE SOME POINTS THAT CAN DEFINATLY PROVIDE A FULLCRUM TO COMPETE WITH CHINA . . .

1. PROMULGATE MORE SEZ.

2. INFUSE MORE M2 IN LOGISTIC CHANNEL.

3. OPEN THE DOORS OF FIIs & FDIs ALL THE WAY

4. MORE INCENIVES TO MOM & POP BUSINESSES.

5. " DO AS THE AMERICA HAD DONE DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION & NOW JAPAN HAS BEEN DOING "

HOPE THIS ARE ALL THE GOLDEN NUGGETS WHICH CAN PAVE THE WAY TO COMPETE AGAINST CHINA & WHY NOT WE ARE INDINS CAN DO EVERYTHING AS WE ARE '' X-CALIBRE ''