FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 31 41 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1424
    Thanks
    Thanked 488 Times
    in 272 Posts

Last edited by tusharsem; 12-Jul-10 at 9:34 PM.
    PGDIM NITIE Mumbai 2011-13

CAT 2011 : Quant |DI/LR/DS

New thread : Word Usage

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumit2goody View Post
    Sentence Correction Set :

343)
    In this particular job we have discovered that to be diligent is more important than being bright.
    (1) by being diligent is important than being bright.
    (2) being diligent is more important than being bright.
    (3) diligence is more important than brightness.
    (4) for one to be diligent is more important than being bright.
    sumit please change the nos. 343 and 344 nos. are already given by me. and what else? how is life @ indore?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chin2parikh For This Useful Post:

tusharsem (12-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 79 Times
    in 52 Posts

Official Answers to SC 337 to 342
    The thieves broke into my friend's house.

A number of students are going to the class picnic.
    A number always takes "are"..

The number of students going to the class picnic is big.
    "The Number" always takes "is".

340-
    I have an MP3 player at home
    The correct usage is "I have " and not "I am Having"..
    and "an Mp3 player" is the right usage..
    other ex..an MLA, an MP etc..

The committee have arrived by different flights
    Here , committee has been used to mean the members of the committee.
    so "have" is the correct usage..
    The case where committee is used as a collective noun takes "HAS" and not "HAVE".
    eg. Th committee has given a verdict.

They insisted on my singing the song.
    another eg. He insisted upon my writing the essay.
    and not 'he insisted upon me writing the essay"
    The Last Lap...!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hirenrana For This Useful Post:

chin2parikh (11-Jul-10), styxnexus (16-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 79 Times
    in 52 Posts

My Take for Sc psoted by Sumit:--
    345-2
    346-3
    347-4
    The Last Lap...!!

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hirenrana View Post
    Official Answers to SC 337 to 342
    The thieves broke into my friend's house.

A number of students are going to the class picnic.
    A number always takes "are"..

The number of students going to the class picnic is big.
    "The Number" always takes "is".

340-
    I have an MP3 player at home
    The correct usage is "I have " and not "I am Having"..
    and "an Mp3 player" is the right usage..
    other ex..an MLA, an MP etc..

The committee have arrived by different flights
    Here , committee has been used to mean the members of the committee.
    so "have" is the correct usage..
    The case where committee is used as a collective noun takes "HAS" and not "HAVE".
    eg. Th committee has given a verdict.

They insisted on my singing the song.
    another eg. He insisted upon my writing the essay.
    and not 'he insisted upon me writing the essay"
    hiren in 342 sentence they insisted upon me to sing the song is right or wrong.
    also in question no. 338 and 339 we have used to as a preposition before picnic while in previous set(q no. 336) we have used for as a preposition before picnic. is it because we have been given class picnic in q no. 338 and 339?

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

my take for sumit's SC Set

345-2
    346-2
    347-4.

Thanks
    Thanked 31 Times
    in 20 Posts

My Take 345 - 347

345 - 2
    346 - 1
    347 - 2

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Official Solutions :

345. (3) Parallel construction error in the original statement. A similar form is required on each side of the comparison. “Diligence - brightness”
    346. (4) The given statement grammatically correct. “But” is always followed by objective pronoun (him).
    347. (4) Past perfect tense is required in the conditional clause “if she had won it”. Also, “I” is required after a form of the verb “to be”. And any hypothetical situation of “If I were she” or “If she were I” will have were and not was.
    B-School Joiners,Please Click
    Moi Blog: (Taken a break) Dissociation
    Quant Thread RC ThreadVerbal Thread Leisure
    PGP Batch IIM Indore 2012

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

hirenrana (12-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 79 Times
    in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chin2parikh View Post
    hiren in 342 sentence they insisted upon me to sing the song is right or wrong.
    also in question no. 338 and 339 we have used to as a preposition before picnic while in previous set(q no. 336) we have used for as a preposition before picnic. is it because we have been given class picnic in q no. 338 and 339?
    Hi Chintan,
    i believe it can be like this "they insisted me to sing the song " and not "insisted upon me"...!!

for ur query regarding the usage of preposition "to" and "for" , i dont know any rule for that..

But the usage is such..let me give example..
    we always say "I went out for party last night".
    and " I am going to the birthday party"..

This is not a rule , i just presented my opinion.

People please , if any one knows abt this , pour in ur thoughts..!!!
    The Last Lap...!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hirenrana For This Useful Post:

chin2parikh (12-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Upstream Downstream Arguments

In the following questions a passage is given with four statements following it. Read the passage and on the basis of the information available decide if:
    a. If the argument is an upstream argument
    b. If the argument is a downstream argument
    c. If the argument is a lateral argument
    d. If the argument is irrelevant to the passage.

Then from the answer choices choose the option where the statements have been labeled correctly.

Example of upstream, downstream and lateral arguments.

Passage: Ram was keen to get admission into the IIM’s - the top notch management institutions in India.

Upstream Argument: If the passage is a direct conclusion or inference that can be drawn from the statement,the statement is an upstream argument
    E.g. Ram studied very hard for the entrance exam for the IIMs and even joined the best coaching class for the entrance exam.
    One gets to know why Ram studied very hard from the passage. Therefore in case of an upstream argument the passage logically follows the question statement
    Downstream Argument: If the statement is a direct conclusion or inference that can be drawn from the passage then the argument is a downstream argument.
    E.g. Getting admission into an IIM would be positive for Ram’s Career.
    This would clearly be a downstream argument. Here, the statement happens to logically follow the passage.
    Lateral Argument: If the statement supports the passage but is neither upstream nor downstream, then it is a lateral argument
    E.g. The IIMs hold an entrance exam called CAT.

Here the statement adds to the passage and supports it. However, it is neither an inference nor a conclusion.
    Such an argument is called a Lateral Argument. Also, a lateral argument is not related to the central idea of the passage but is not completely irrelevant to the topic of discussion

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

kunwarm.singh (12-Jul-10), sbharathindia (12-Jul-10), styxnexus (16-Jul-10), tusharsem (12-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

348)

The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program because, with it, job applicants who have personalities that are unsuited to the requirements of the job will be eliminated from consideration.

i. Apart from relevant qualification and experience, a candidate who is hired for a job should ideally have a personality that matches the demands of the job for him or her to perform effectively.
    ii. In a recent case where a senior executive in a Fortune 500 company was hired and fired within a short span of time it was found that the executive had been hired without having undergone a formal interview.
    iii. Different jobs call for different personalities – the aggressive go-getter, the pensive deliberator, the quick thinking decision-maker and so on.
    iv. These days many companies are outsourcing the recruitment of their personnel to professional hiring agencies who are experienced in modern recruitment practices.

(1) badc (2) bacd (3) acbd (4) abcd (5) cbad

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

weiger11 (15-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

349 )

A recent spate of launching and operating mishaps with television satellites led to a corresponding surge in claims against companies underwriting satellite insurance.

i. Most television satellites are produced in such small numbers and operate under such unpredictable circumstances that they are necessarily heavily insured.

ii. The manufacturers of satellite television operate in an oligopolistic market framework.

iii. Insurance premiums shot up, making satellites more expensive to launch and operate, in turn, adding to the pressure to squeeze more performance out of currently operating satellites.

iv. The use of satellites in television broadcasting has gained importance as viewers have become used to real-time exposure to events happening around the globe.

(1) bdac (2) cabd (3) cdba (4) adbc (5) dcab

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

weiger11 (15-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

350)

When widespread tax evasion forces the government to raise income tax rates, causing the tax burden on non-evading taxpayers to become heavier, this encourages even more taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable income.

i. The government does not face this peculiar problem when it comes to collection of corporate taxes,duties and levies.

ii. It is important for the government to realize its income tax collection targets to meet its revenue goals in a fiscal year.

iii. Usually, when the government establishes income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, it does not allow adequately for revenues that will be lost through evasion.

iv. When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vicious cycle results.

(1) badc (2) bcad (3) dacb (4) bcda (5) acda

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

351)

It is unlikely for an individual starting a new company to be skilled in the diverse business areas the company needs to excel in.

i. It is important for a new company to simultaneously pursue successful strategies in different business areas, viz. marketing, technology and management

ii. Companies founded by groups are more likely to succeed than companies founded by individuals.

iii. Recent statistics on start-up ventures floated over the last two years show that more ventures have failed in the technology space than in any other area.

iv. New companies are more likely to succeed when their founders are from diverse backgrounds and can provide adequate skills in marketing, management and technical abilities.

(1) cbda (2) bcda (3) adcb (4) abcd (5) cadb

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

sbharathindia (12-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 488 Times
    in 272 Posts

Not very confident of my answers,
    PGDIM NITIE Mumbai 2011-13

CAT 2011 : Quant |DI/LR/DS

New thread : Word Usage

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

Default My Take

348)2
    349)4
    350)4
    351)3
    I will Rise and rise until I can clear CAT.

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

343. From time to time, the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over the use of false or misleading information by the U.S. government in support of its policies and programs. No one endorses needless deception. But consider this historical analogy. It is known that Christopher Columbus, on his first voyage to the New World, deliberately falsified the log to show a shorter sailing distance for each day out than the ships had actually traveled. In this way, Columbus was able to convince his skeptical sailors that they had not sailed past the point at which they expected to find the shores of India. Without this deception, Columbus’s sailors might well have mutinied, and the New World might never have been discovered.
    The author of the passage above assumes each of the following EXCEPT:

(A) Government deception of the press is often motivated by worthy objectives.
    (B) Without government deception, popular support for worthwhile government policies and programs might well fade.
    (C) Attacks on the government by the press are often politically motivated.
    (D) Deception for deception’s sake should not be condoned.
    (E) A greater good may sometimes require acceptance of a lesser evil.

344. Dr. A: The new influenza vaccine is useless at best and possibly dangerous. I would never use it on a patient.
    Dr. B: But three studies published in the Journal of Medical Associates have rated that vaccine as unusually effective.
    Dr. A: The studies must have been faulty because the vaccine is worthless.
    In which of the following is the reasoning most similar to that of Dr. A?

(A) Three of my patients have been harmed by that vaccine during the past three weeks, so the vaccine is unsafe.
    (B) Jerrold Jersey recommends this milk, and I don’t trust Jerrold Jersey, so I won’t buy this milk.
    (C) Wingzz tennis balls perform best because they are far more effective than any other tennis balls.
    (D) I’m buying Vim Vitamins. Doctors recommend them more often than they recommend any other vitamins, so Vim Vitamins must be good.
    (E) Since University of Muldoon graduates score about 20 percent higher than average on the GMAT, Sheila Lee, a University of Muldoon graduate, will score about 20 percent higher than average when she takes the GMAT.

people expecting more replies this time.
    official answers
    343-c
    344-c.

Thanks
    Thanked 31 Times
    in 20 Posts

official answers
    343-c
    344-c.
    @chin2parikh : bhai explanations bhi hia kya inke ... questions were good ... Do keep posting more like this .... if you want you can try RC in RC Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 31 Times
    in 20 Posts

My Take

348 - 5
    349 - 1
    350 - 4
    351 - 1

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Official Answers 348-351

348. 2 (bacd) Statement (i) is a downstream argument because the conclusion that a candidate hired for a job should have a personality that matches the job is an inference that can be drawn on the basis of the passage, which states that an
    interview is essential to check whether an applicant has a personality that matches the requirement of the job or not.
    Statement (ii) is an upstream argument because the conclusion that an interview is an essential part of a hiring program can
    be drawn on the basis of the example of a faulty hiring without a formal interview. Statement (iii) is a lateral argument because
    it supports the idea of a personality match with a particular type of job being very important. Statement (iv) about
    professional hiring agencies is not really relevant to the argument.

349. 4 (adbc). Statement (i) is an upstream argument because if television satellites are necessarily heavily insured, then it
    can be concluded that operating mishaps would lead to a corresponding surge in insurance claims. Statement (iii) is a
    downstream argument because it can be concluded that if satellites experience frequent mishaps and this leads to an
    increase in claims, then insurance premiums for satellite insurance would go up. Statement (iv) underscores the
    importance of television satellites and supports the fact why they are heavily insured. Statement (ii) about the kind of market
    the manufacturers operate in is irrelevant to the passage.

350. 3 (dacb). Since the passage is about income taxes, the issue of collection of corporate taxes is irrelevant to the argument.
    Statement (ii) is an upstream argument, because if income tax collections are important to the government, then it can be
    concluded that tax evasion would force the government to raise income tax rates. Statement (iii) supports the passage
    because if, in fixing income tax rates, the government does not allow for revenues that will be lost through evasion thenwhen evasion happens it will be forced to raise income tax rates. Statement (iv) about the vicious circle that is created
    can be clearly concluded from the passage and hence it is a downstream argument.

351. 1 (cbda). Statement (ii) about companies founded by groups being more likely to succeed than companies founded by
    individuals can be concluded from the passage. Statement (i) supports the passage by highlighting the need for pursuing
    strategies in different business areas and is therefore a lateral argument. Statement (iii) about ventures in technology space
    failing is not really relevant to the argument. Statement (iv) is an upstream argument because the passage about an
    individual being unlikely to have the expertise of several people from different backgrounds can be inferred from it.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

sbharathindia (15-Jul-10), styxnexus (16-Jul-10)