FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 13 Times
    in 6 Posts

My Take on RC-6
    1)b
    2)e
    3)a
    4)d
    5)e
    6)a

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Official Answers RC - 6

same as naresh's answers

1.B
    2.C
    3.A
    4.D
    5.E
    6.B
    B-School Joiners,Please Click
    Moi Blog: (Taken a break) Dissociation
    Quant Thread RC ThreadVerbal Thread Leisure
    PGP Batch IIM Indore 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 28 Times
    in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumit2goody View Post
    yeah i know its good, wanted to post a short RC in tune of online CAT ..this is short and tough

btw naresh you are fast gaining the honor of verbal GOD out here :P
    OMG...sumit, nope...am not the GOD dear!!....just enjoying
    btw, yeah...recent fms..did acknowledge me with: 99.6+..self-boasting..lolzzz
    but i want such scores in my final CAT :P...
    you know sumit..my fate is goin same like yours, i mean as your last year, me too on fms-wl this year..buttt its hard to clear though!
    sincerely, if i tell you truth,fms was never been my choice but just a chance! so no regrets.. i feel it as a good oman,as my destiny c beckons i'm nuts4it.

just am hoping to turn my signature ON!!!
    Its the JOKA my destiny! No, its not a JOKE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naresh007 For This Useful Post:

sumit2goody (06-May-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naresh007 View Post
    OMG...sumit, nope...am not the GOD dear!!....just enjoying
    btw, yeah...recent fms..did acknowledge me with: 99.6+..self-boasting..lolzzz
    but i want such scores in my final CAT :P...
    you know sumit..my fate is goin same like yours, i mean as your last year, me too on fms-wl this year..buttt its hard to clear though!
    sincerely, if i tell you truth,fms was never been my choice but just a chance! so no regrets.. i feel it as a good oman,as my destiny c beckons i'm nuts4it.

just am hoping to turn my signature ON!!!
    Hard work does pay man Best of Luck

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

RC- 7
    Intellectual authority is defined as the authority of arguments that prevail by virtue of good reasoning and do not depend on coercion or convention. A contrasting notion, institutional authority, refers to the power of social institutions to enforce acceptance of arguments that may or may not possess intellectual authority. The authority wielded by legal systems is especially interesting because such systems are institutions that nonetheless aspire to a purely intellectual authority. One judge goes so far as to claim that courts are merely passive vehicles for applying the intellectual authority of the law and possess no coercive powers of their own.
    In contrast, some critics maintain that whatever authority judicial pronouncements have is exclusively institutional. Some of these critics go further, claiming that intellectual authority does not really exist—i.e., it reduces to institutional authority. But it can be countered that these claims break down when a sufficiently broad historical perspective is taken: Not all arguments accepted by institutions withstand the test of time, and some well-reasoned arguments never receive institutional imprimatur. The reasonable argument that goes unrecognized in its own time because it challenges institutional beliefs is common in intellectual history; intellectual authority and institutional consensus are not the same thing.
    But the critics might respond, intellectual authority is only recognized as such because of institutional consensus. For example, if a musicologist were to claim that an alleged musical genius who, after several decades, had not gained respect and recognition for his or her compositions is probably not a genius, the critics might say that basing a judgment on a unit of time—“several decades”—is an institutional rather than an intellectual construct. What, the critics might ask, makes a particular number of decades reasonable evidence by which to judge genius? The answer, of course, is nothing, except for the fact that such institutional procedures have proved useful to musicologists in making such distinctions in the past.
    The analogous legal concept is the doctrine of precedent, i.e., a judge’s merely deciding a case a certain way becoming a basis for deciding later cases the same way—a pure example of institutional authority. But eh critics miss the crucial distinction that when a judicial decision is badly reasoned, or simply no longer applies in the face of evolving social standards or practices, the notion of intellectual authority is introduced: judges reconsider, revise, or in some cases throw out in the reconsideration of decisions, leading one to draw the conclusion that legal systems contain a significant degree of intellectual authority even if the thrust of their power is predominantly institutional.
    1. Which one of the following most accurately states the main idea of the passage?
    (A) Although some argue that the authority of legal systems is purely intellectual, these systems possess a degree of institutional authority due to their ability to enforce acceptance of badly reasoned or socially inappropriate judicial decisions.
    (B) Although some argue that the authority of legal systems is purely institutional, theses systems are more correctly seen as vehicles for applying the intellectual authority of the law while possessing no coercive power of their own.
    (C) Although some argue that the authority of legal systems is purely intellectual, these systems in fact wield institutional authority by virtue of the fact that intellectual authority reduces to institutional authority.
    (D) Although some argue that the authority of legal systems is purely institutional, these systems possesses a degree of intellectual authority due to their ability to reconsider badly reasoned or socially inappropriate judicial decisions.
    (E) Although some argue that the authority of legal systems is purely intellectual, these systems in fact wield exclusively institutional authority in that they possess the power to enforce acceptance of badly reasoned or socially inappropriate judicial decisions.
    2. That some arguments “never receive institutional imprimatur” (line 22-23) most likely means that these arguments
    (A) fail to gain institutional consensus
    (B) fail to challenge institutional beliefs
    (C) fail to conform to the example of precedent
    (D) fail to convince by virtue of good reasoning
    (E) fail to gain acceptance except by coercion
    3. Which one of the following, if true, most challenges the author’s contention that legal systems contain a significant degree of intellectual authority?
    (A) Judges often act under time constraints and occasionally render a badly reasoned or socially inappropriate decision.
    (B) In some legal systems, the percentage of judicial decisions that contain faulty reasoning is far higher than it is in other legal systems.
    (C) Many socially inappropriate legal decisions are thrown out by judges only after citizens begin to voice opposition to them.
    (D) In some legal systems, the percentage of judicial decisions that are reconsidered and revised is far higher than it is in other legal systems.
    (E) Judges are rarely willing to rectify the examples of faulty reasoning they discover when reviewing previous legal decisions.
    4. Given the information in the passage, the author is LEAST likely to believe which one of the following?
    (A) Institutional authority may depend on coercion; intellectual authority never does.
    (B) Intellectual authority may accept well-reasoned arguments; institutional authority never does.
    (C) Institutional authority may depend on convention; intellectual authority never does.
    (D) Intellectual authority sometimes challenges institutional beliefs; institutional authority never does.
    (E) Intellectual authority sometimes conflicts with precedent; institutional authority never does.
    5. The author discusses the example from musicology primarily in order to
    (A) distinguish the nothing of institutional authority from that of intellectual authority
    (B) given an example of an argument possessing intellectual authority that did not prevail in its own time
    (C) identify an example in which the ascription of musical genius did not withstand the test of time
    (D) illustrate the claim that assessing intellectual authority requires an appeal to institutional authority
    (E) demonstrate that the authority wielded by the arbiters of musical genius is entirely institutional
    6. Based on the passage, the author would be most likely to hold which one of the following views about the doctrine of precedent?
    (A) it is the only tool judges should use if they wish to achieve a purely intellectual authority.
    (B) It is a useful tool in theory but in practice it invariably conflicts with the demands of intellectual authority.
    (C) It is a useful tool but lacks intellectual authority unless it is combined with the reconsidering of decisions.
    (D) It is often an unreliable tool because it prevents judges from reconsidering the intellectual authority of past decisions.
    (E) It is an unreliable tool that should be abandoned because it lacks intellectual authority.

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

A passage related to judiciary..Try it

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Where is evrybody no tries

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

my ans for for RC 7 are
    1-D, 2-B,3-D,4-B,5-B,6-C

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

participation is very low...buck up guys and gals..spread the word..

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 26 Times
    in 18 Posts

sry....will try to be active in this thread

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 26 Times
    in 18 Posts

RC : 7
    my take
    1.d
    2.a
    3.c
    4.e
    5.d
    6.d

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 26 Times
    in 18 Posts

sumit answers plz
    and reading this RC was like watching a horror movie ! locating ques were difficult for me :-|

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 26 Times
    in 18 Posts

@sumit : I just had a look at RC-6 ...packed dynamite...can we have more of such rc's. easy to read and difficult to dig in

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

RC - 7 Official Answers

1) d
    2) a
    3) e
    4) b
    5) d
    6) c

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

hirenrana (11-May-10)

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

Hey i am back. .Will be active from now. .Was busy with my exams. .

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sbharathindia For This Useful Post:

sumit2goody (10-May-10)

ENGINEER
    Thanks
    Thanked 84 Times
    in 51 Posts

Default Rc-8

Farid, the shoemaker, was annoyed that his helper, Shoab, was so insensitive to his reverie that he wouldn't for a minute cease his fanatic pounding at the other bench. He gave him a look, but Shoab’s bald head was bent over the last as he worked,and he didn't notice. The shoemaker shrugged and continued to peer through the partly frosted window at the nearsighted haze of falling February snow. Neither the shifting white blur outside, nor the udden deep remembrance of the snowy Kashmiri village where he had wasted his youth, could turn his thoughts from Momin the college boy (a constant visitor in the mind since early that morning when Farid saw him trudging through the snowdrifts on his way to school), whom he so much respected because of the sacrifices he had made throughout the years—in winter or direst heat—to further his education. An old wish returned to haunt the shoemaker: that he had had a son instead of a daughter, but this blew away in the snow, for Farid, if anything, was a practical man. Yet, he could not help but contrast the diligence of the boy, who was a peddler's son, with Mehrun's unconcern for education. True, she was always with a book in her hand, yet when the opportunity arose for a college education, she had said no. She would rather find a job. He had begged her to go, pointing out how many fathers could not afford to send their children to college, but she said she wanted to be independent. As for education, what was it, she asked, but books, which Shoab, who diligently read the classics, would as usual advise her on. Her answer greatly grieved her father. A figure emerged from the snow and the door opened. At the counter, the man withdrew, from a wet paper bag, a pair of battered shoes for repair. Who he was the shoemaker for a moment had no idea, then his heart trembled as he realized, before he had thoroughly discerned the face, that Momin himself was standing there, embarrassedly explaining what he wanted to be done to his old shoes. Though Farid listened eagerly, he couldn't hear a word, for the opportunity that had burst upon him was deafening.He couldn't exactly recall when the thought had occurred to him, because it was clear he had more than once considered suggesting to the boy that he go out with Mehrun. But he had not dared speak, for if Momin said no, how would he face him again? Or suppose Mehrun, who harped so often on independence, blew up in anger and shouted at him for his meddling ? Still, the chance was too good to let by : all it meant was an introduction. They might long ago have become friends had they happened to meet somewhere, therefore was it not his duty—an obligation—to bring them together, nothing more, a harmless connivance to replace an accidental encounter in the subway, let's say, or a mutual friend's introduction in the street ? Just let him once see and talk to her and he would for sure be interested. As for Mehrun, what possible harm for a working girl in an office, who met only loudmouthed salesmen and illiterate shipping clerks, to make the acquaintance of a fine scholarly boy ? May be he would awaken in her a desire to go to college; if not—the shoemaker's mind at last came to grips with the truth—let her marry an educated man and live a better life.

1.Why was Farid so keen that Mehrun should go for college education ?

(1)He was aware that education brings prosperity and refinement in a person.
    (2)He was influenced by Momin’s perseverance and sacrifices for securing college education.
    (3)He could not continue his education on account of extreme poverty and had to dropout of college.
    (4)He realised that he could work in partnership with Mehrun, thereby expanding his business.

2.Mehrun was against the pursuit of higher education because of :
    (1)it being irrelevant to her aims and objectives in life.
    (2)her awareness that life had plenty to teach and that college education was unwarranted.
    (3) her influence of the thinking of the ‘peer group’ who saw the uselessness of education for girls, for whom marriage was
    the ultimate destiny.
    (4)her father’s economic condition, knowing fully well that she would not be in a position to finish her studies and would
    dropout in the middle.

3.As per the passage, which of the following is false ?
    (1)Farid secretly wanted Mehrun to be friendly with Momin, who he considered to be a scholar.
    (2)Mehrun’s lack of concern for education was a matter of concern for Farid.
    (3)Farid did not think highly of salesmen and shipping clerks.
    (4)Farid had become a shoemaker by chance.

4.Momin, as made out by the passage, was :
    (1)
    grateful to Farid for having encouraged him to study further.
    (2)charmed by Farid’s daughter, whom he wanted to marry.
    (3) not economically prosperous.
    (4)always advising Mehrun to pay more emphasis on education than on vocation.

5.The passage is about :
    (1)the social conditions prevailing around the times that Farid lived.
    (2)the urge for the youth to make their presence left.
    (3)the importance and value given to education by a person no less than a shoemaker.
    (4)the right and the desire of an individual to rebel and retaliate against imposition, even if they be from a father.

6.The style adopted by the author is :
    (1)didactic
    (2)descriptive
    (3)interrogative
    (4)rhetoric

7.A suitable title suggested for the passage could be :
    (1)Aspirations Of A Shoemaker.
    (2)The Need To Be Wealthy.
    (3)The Irrelevance Of Education.
    (4)Right To Seek A Profession.

8.The shoemaker, as per the passage, desired and wished that :
    (1)what he had lost in education be made good in wealth.
    (2)his daughter tread the scholarly path of life, be it through acquaintance or marriage.
    (3)his social level rise and he be treated with honour and esteem by one and all.
    (4)None of the above.

9.The passage is most likely an adaptation from:
    (1)a story popular among the village folk with a message and a moral behind it.
    (2)the life and achievements of Farid, who was Prime Minister of Turkey.
    (3)the epic of Dogri culture, whose Knowledge was a must for the natives of the land.
    (4)an episode of a famous TV serial in Punjabi language

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sbharathindia For This Useful Post:

hirenrana (12-May-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 28 Times
    in 19 Posts

RC - 7 Official Answers

1) d
    2) a
    3) e
    4) b
    5) d
    6) c
    Sumit...even this RC is testing!
    just did.. endup with 2 mistakes.. Q'n: 5 & 3..
    Its the JOKA my destiny! No, its not a JOKE!

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

RC-8 my take,
    1-1,2-2,3-4,4-3,5-3,6-2,7-1,8-2,9-1

Thanks
    Thanked 79 Times
    in 52 Posts

My Answers :--

RC-6

1 - b ,2 - a ,3 - a ,4 - d ,5 - e , 6 - b

RC-7
    1 - d , 2 - a , 3 - e , 4 - e , 5 - d , 6 - c

RC-8

1 - 2 , 2 - 2 , 3 - 4 , 4 - 3 ,5 - 3 , 6 - 4 ,7 - 1 ,8 - 2 ,9 - 1.

Good ones Sumit...!!!!
    Last edited by hirenrana; 11-May-10 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 79 Times
    in 52 Posts

Gosh seems like all are put to blunders by this one..needs discussion over these
    hey sumit, got 8 out of 9 right in RC-4...
    But, Twas excruciating....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast