FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Default B-School Joiners

Well this one is straight out of a whim. People who are joining any B-school here (A, B , C.......Z) , Post about it here.
    Advantage of this is for future joiners it will act as a repository and will able them to get the info direct out of YOU for YOUR college.

So TFites come on spread the word and Make others feel your presence
    B-School Joiners,Please Click
    Moi Blog: (Taken a break) Dissociation
    Quant Thread RC ThreadVerbal Thread Leisure
    PGP Batch IIM Indore 2012

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

Sanket12 (29-Nov-10), shanky_kheterpal (04-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

The Format (atleast for basic details) is like

Name:
    B-School Joining:
    Message to future aspirants:

Rest its all upto your creativity, write whatever you want , your journey of MBA , dreams etc

Lets make it large

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

last year joinees who are there at TF are also welcome

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

My 6800th post

Name: Sumit Khanna
    B-School Joining: IIM Indore
    Message to future aspirants: Belief and Guidance is the best bet guys and gals. I was told by my faculty in june 2006 that sumit you should be in IIMs and i thank god and them to make me believe in my abilities and suceed. So all of you at there just believe and you can be there.

PS: The faculty was Nishit Kumar Sinha . Thanks Sir

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

dk78 (25-Jul-10), hirenrana (07-Jun-10), jasmeet224 (07-Jun-10), Sanket12 (29-Nov-10), sayan_dodo (02-Jul-11), sbharathindia (11-Jun-10), styxnexus (06-Jun-10), sumitda (03-Jul-10)

Thanks

Name: Amey Kulkarni
    B-School Joining: IIM Indore
    Message to future aspirants:
    Let the strong desire drive your preparation. If you really want to get into an IIM, then your dedication and hard work should be commendable. And believe me, if you are sincere enough with your prep for next 5-6 months then you can also get this elite seat in IIMs.. All the Best !!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CATboy22 For This Useful Post:

sbharathindia (11-Jun-10), styxnexus (09-Jun-10), sumit2goody (07-Jun-10), sumitda (03-Jul-10)

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 5 Times
    in 2 Posts

Thumbs down

Name: Gurpreet Singh Phull
    B-School Joining: IIM C
    Message to future aspirants: Be perseverant, set your targets and work hard to achieve that untill you succeed.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gpsphull For This Useful Post:

sbharathindia (11-Jun-10), styxnexus (09-Jun-10), sumit2goody (08-Jun-10), sumitda (03-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 488 Times
    in 272 Posts

Wonderful initiative Sumit, would surely help us all who are still in the race.

But I (read we) would like to hear more from you guys, about your journey to get into a good B-school, from the day it all began till the day you got that coveted call, something that we can all read from time to time and that reminds us of what our goal is, something that motivates us to the core when we are down. Hoping you would oblige us with your story
    PGDIM NITIE Mumbai 2011-13

CAT 2011 : Quant |DI/LR/DS

New thread : Word Usage

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tusharsem For This Useful Post:

sbharathindia (11-Jun-10), styxnexus (09-Jun-10), sumitda (03-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tusharsem View Post
    Wonderful initiative Sumit, would surely help us all who are still in the race.

But I (read we) would like to hear more from you guys, about your journey to get into a good B-school, from the day it all began till the day you got that coveted call, something that we can all read from time to time and that reminds us of what our goal is, something that motivates us to the core when we are down. Hoping you would oblige us with your story
    Hmm was thinking of it, will do that in a day or two

Choclateboy
    Thanks
    Thanked 34 Times
    in 8 Posts

Name : Parimal Lokhande
    B-School : IIM-Ahmedabad
    Message :For what they're worth, here they are. Parimal's mantra to Belling the CBT-CAT
    RULE 1 : COMMIT to your goal. Believe in it more than anybody else. I think I overcame every single one of my personal shortcomings by the sheer passion I brought to my work. I don't know if you are born with this kind of passion, or if you can learn it. But I do know you need it. If you love your work, you'll be out there every day trying to do it the best you possibly can, and pretty soon everybody around will catch the passion from you-like a fever. Take my word - this is contagious. But very important and thus my choice for Rule 1.

RULE 2 : SHARE your ideas. And don't just stop at that. Do that for all techniques, formulae's and methods. Broaden your outlook. Don't compete with your immediate peer group. Rather convert them into your buffer-zone. This will solve dual purposes. One, you will get to learn newer methods when others reciprocate this gesture. Second, and to me this was more important than the first, you will have someone to cushion your fall. MockCAT's spring unexpected surprises. Having a strong and understanding peer group goes a long way in the preparation for the final CAT.

RULE 3 : EXCEED the syllabi. By this I do not mean start studying limits, integration and differentiation. Rather I professes that you should expect and prepare for the worst. This will make the journey harsh but remember the destination will be far sweeter. Since examples are equivalent to a thousand words, let me quote ‘probability and permutation-combination were my nemeses.’ But they were high risk, high return topics. Added benefit was that they consumed least time to solve. And in exams, when every minute counts, it is these topics that supported my tirade to excellence. I achieved this by studying in detail all aspects of the topics, covering even those that did not figure in examinations. This is the real meaning of exceeding the syllabi.

RULE 4 : READ your way to excellence. I am not the first person to eulogize the benefits of a multifaceted reading habit. Not just for CAT, but to make your stay on this earth meaningful and fulfilling, men of greatness have professed the importance of reading. So will me. The fact that a good proficient vocabulary aids in effective communication is known to all. But reading improves several dimensions to your personality. And is it not what all B-schools are looking for? On the practical side of life, start reading what you like, slowly graduating to other profound genres and you have conquered (without doing any serious work) the demon of Reading-Comprehension !!

RULE 5 : STRATEGISE and stick to it. After a few mocks you should have an elaborate and systematic plan of action. Since actual CAT will be at the end of December, start taking mocks earliest by June, one every week. Increase the frequency gradually so that you have had enough ground zero practice. But remember, no outcome will be conclusive unless you stick to the self-imposed strategies including time limits. Think of the final CAT every time you write a mock. Give yourself the feel of the actual CBT-CAT and let the serious need of sticking to strategies trickle down.

RULE 6 : STAY focused continuously. I have seen real examples where people started with a lot of enthusiasm but fizzled out by the end. Members of this type have the potential but do not want to utilize it to their advantage. The other type is more dramatic. They are so confident of doing ‘it’ in the last two months that they never kickstart their preparation. Stay alert of this attitude. You need to keep your momentum going for atleast. 8months to a year; to gain stronghold of all areas. A great start is not an assurance of success, neither is a flourish at the end. After all it is not just clichéd to say but slow and steady does win the race.

RULE 7 : FUTURE is not a function of history. So many people I meet, keep cribbing that they have poor scores in graduation. Others are worried about lack of extra-curricular achievements. Some will tell you they have not-so-good SSC-HSC scores. I ask them just one question : Can you change any of these now? The answer is as simple as the question. Do what you can do in the present and make your future. The last thing you should be doing is ruining your future by worrying about your past in the present.

RULE 8 : DIVERSIFY your preparation. Don’t study Quant in a month, Verbal-the next month and DI the last. Do something about everything and do that everyday. Some entrance tests have GK section. Believe me-this is something you can develop easily but not unless you give yourself enough time. I did not do anything for GK apart from reading the newspaper regularly. The word regularly is most important in this aspect. Cultivate it as a habit and you will soon fall in love with this habit.

RULE 9 : ENJOY life. Give yourself moments to cherish, and life will pay you back in the same coin. Take my word-I saw more number of movies in this last one year than any year of my lifetime. I bunked more lectures than any year of my college life. I slept more than ever. But I also did things that I never did earlier. In my last 15 months, I have read 22books(of course, apart from the ones prescribed in college), I have regularly read the newspaper. I have blogged more passionately than ever(TestFunda is testimony to this fact !!) This is the way to consciously improve the quality of life. And the end result is for everyone to see.

RULE 10 : SWIM upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody else is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going in exactly the opposite direction. But be prepared for a lot of folks to wave you down and tell you are headed the wrong way. I guess in my complete year of CAT preparation, what I heard more often than anything : A stronghold in Quant and DI alone cant guarantee success unless you have mastered every bit of Verbal ! I had the self belief, I swam upstream, and proved even my mentors wrong.

Epilogue These are some pretty ordinary rules, some would say even simplistic. The hard part, the real challenge, is to constantly figure out ways to execute them. You can’t just keep doing what works one time, because everything around you is always changing. To succeed, you have to stay out in front of that change.

15. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to parimallokhande For This Useful Post:

abnv007 (25-Nov-10), adi13 (25-Mar-11), ajay_h (20-Sep-10), akb.amateur (28-Jan-11), Animeshagarwal (11-Jun-10), ankit1421 (13-Jul-10), arpit90 (18-Sep-10), dk78 (25-Jul-10), hirenrana (24-Nov-10), mohdhuzaifa (11-Dec-10), mozak104 (02-Oct-10), pbhatt1985 (29-Jul-11), Rags (14-Aug-10), Sayon (02-Jul-10), sbharathindia (11-Jun-10), shanky_kheterpal (04-Jul-10), styxnexus (12-Jun-10), sumit2goody (11-Jun-10), tusharsem (12-Jun-10), varavindkulasekhar (11-Jun-10), vibhugoenka (24-Nov-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 47 Times
    in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumit2goody View Post
    Hmm was thinking of it, will do that in a day or two
    hey Sumit,

we are awaiting for your story.

Thanks
    Thanked 79 Times
    in 52 Posts

Hi Sumit its high time u posted ur story..!!!!
    Please come up with ur story....
    Waiting for Sumit's CAT-Sojourn.....
    The Last Lap...!!