FORUM  

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Post SOP for FMS and other colleges

Hi everybody.....many of you must have been writing SOP's for different colleges....so this is the place where we can post our SOP and discuss it to refine it more...
    B-School Joiners,Please Click
    Moi Blog: (Taken a break) Dissociation
    Quant Thread RC ThreadVerbal Thread Leisure
    PGP Batch IIM Indore 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

@TF

Can you give us some tips or may be some sample SOP's to help us out???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

snehaaga (03-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 5 Times
    in 5 Posts

here is a sample sop copied frm a website...............

'You live only once, but if you live right, then once is enough'. Same applies to one's career decisions because one has to live with it throughout. I aspire to be a part of strategic management team, where my primary role is to take crucial decisions that could shape the future course of the firm. The thrill, risk and power of the job fascinates me.
    I am currently pursuing BTech in Electronics and Communication from NSIT. This base will help me in managing the technical aspects of the project. But to reach to a position which allows me to realise my aspirations, I will also have to work as a part of teams, build teams, present my ideas effectively and make fruitful decisions. These tasks ask for skills, which I believe, can be learned and mastered with proper guidance and training.
    FMS, with excellent management research base and richly experienced faculty will prepare me to pursue this challenging career with aplomb and confidence. Its superior industry interface, network of contacts with top professionals and location in delhi with huge coporate presence will give a head-start to my career.

so frenz post ur reviews so that we can make necessary changes according to our needs.........
    edited by aaamresh on 11/20/2008
    Solid sometimes Liquid but never Gaseous.

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

I don't think starting with a quote sounds professional.
    2nd para 2nd sentence.. what is "the project"? Do u know doing E&C is enough technical knowledge?
    You haven't met the faculty I presume, so how can u say they'll prepare you with confidence?
    Industry interface superior to whose? Don't ever use superlative terms, because that'll require comparision, which must never be done.

I'm being critical, but also am looking from the point of view of a recruiter at fms. I'm sure she'll ask the same.
    Also, can anyone suggest a good way of saying that what i've studied so far has incorporated certain skills in me?
    Being a graduate still, I have no experience of putting it in the right manner.

Thanks...

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Hey guys and gals....i have written the following SOP for FMS (MS- Masters in Services) Program Can you please review this and tell me what changes i can make into it?

Services are playing an increasing role in contributing to our economy’s surge. An expanding middle class, increasing privatization, the surge in purchasing power and the ever changing needs of society have triggered the shift of employment towards the service sector. Among the various sub-sectors, IT industry has played a leading role in shaping the nation’s image.
    My stint with xxxxxx as a software engineer has given me a fair amount of feel about services sector. It has taught me the importance of customer satisfaction and product quality; both of which are especially important in service sector where repeat business forms a major chunk of revenue..
    Considering the plethora of opportunities in this sector and my work experience in service centric projects, an MBA (MS) degree from FMS will be perfect to put my career on a superb growth path in sync with my dreams and aspirations.

TF,princess, amresh, giggs,ruhita please look into this and tell me if it is OK..do tell if there are any grammatical mistakes as well.
    Last edited by sumit2goody; 21-Nov-09 at 8:16 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sumit2goody For This Useful Post:

swati.r (08-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

I think it's pretty okay.. u can probably add another couple of sentences as to why fms is good for u...
    As for grammar, modify first sentence to 'increasingly important role'.An expanding middle class, increase of privatization,....
    use "the" in front of IT industry in the 3rd sentence. Replace semi-colon with a comma in the 2nd para.."..satisfaction and product quality, both of which are..."
    And last sentence.. "an MBA from FMS will the the perfect opportunity to put my career on a...."

And please I need some help in framing an appropriate sentence that says I've learnt a lot in my graduate course, and that's an ideal base upon which I can build my career around MBA.. cos I'm still doing my final year engineering.. Need some help TF guys..!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to giggs For This Useful Post:

swati.r (08-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giggs
    I think it's pretty okay.. u can probably add another couple of sentences as to why fms is good for u...
    As for grammar, modify first sentence to 'increasingly important role'.An expanding middle class, increase of privatization,....
    use "the" in front of IT industry in the 3rd sentence. Replace semi-colon with a comma in the 2nd para.."..satisfaction and product quality, both of which are..."
    And last sentence.. "an MBA from FMS will the the perfect opportunity to put my career on a...."

And please I need some help in framing an appropriate sentence that says I've learnt a lot in my graduate course, and that's an ideal base upon which I can build my career around MBA.. cos I'm still doing my final year engineering.. Need some help TF guys..!!
    Thanks for reviewing , in which stream are you doing graduation then might be able to tell

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

Computer Science

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Hey gigs you can write about the tecinical skills and management skills you have gained...probaly by some fest or if you are member of some society...you can say about some leadership incident in which u led a group and you believe that u are good in these qualities and to further enhance them you want to do mBA

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

nice.. thnks fr d tips..!
    but sadly i posted it this morning..
    anyway thanks again.. vl use it in the future...

Neophyte
    Locn
    New Delhi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have written a SOP for FMS. Please send in ur review comments asap.

Here it is......

With the desire of becoming a successful consultant in my life, I joined IITR, one of the oldest and most revered institutes in India, to pursue my B.Tech. in Electronics. This programme not only gave me a good foundation in technology, but also paved the way for me to get in touch with several other distinct fields. Moreover my strong analytical abilities and my drive to excel, helped me in achieving second rank in the college.

After my graduation, I joined as an Engineer in Freescale. The work here is very interesting & has widened my domain of thinking and helped me acknowledge the things that are of cardinal importance for my growth into a thorough professional and a future leader.

Subsequent to a management degree, I plan to go as a manager in my specialized field for 4-5 years & then use the experience, and managerial skills to become a successful consultant hence. At FMS, which has a world class faculty, state of the art infrastructure, wide industry interface, flexible curriculum, and a vibrant alumni network, I will be expecting a value addition not only in terms of the level of placements or work experience, but also in terms of the intellectual capital I would be accumulating in those two years. In order to further my interest and gain valuable knowledge and expertise, I would seek to be a part of intensive management research efforts at the campus.

I believe that FMS will enrich my source of wisdom and will sharpen my skills to create an extra edge needed for the highly competitive business world. I hope to use the skills gained at FMS as a cornerstone to achieving the greater good of the world, and making FMS proud of myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

dude its 289 words...FMS is asking around 200 words...cut it down a bit..

and overall its ok but you are starting with a line that you want to become a consultant but not much is mentinoned about it further....if you always wanted to become a consultant then why you joined IITR...so look into teh starting a bit and shorten it up

Neophyte
    Locn
    New Delhi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumit2goody

and overall its ok but you are starting with a line that you want to become a consultant but not much is mentinoned about it further....if you always wanted to become a consultant then why you joined IITR...so look into teh starting a bit and shorten it up
    Hi Sumit,

Thanks for your precious comments. Actually, I dnt know much abt consultancy. I decided late to fill this FMS form.....actually I dnt hv as such any long term goal...most of d guys goes for MBA w/o any long term goal in mind....i just find somewhere this "consultant" word......
    so cut in short i wanna say can u suggest a better form of thsi SOP......i know this is so silly to ask anyone,,,but due to time pressure(as last adte is approaching) & inexperience, i dnt hv much time to explore...

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sam@123

Hi Sumit,

Thanks for your precious comments. Actually, I dnt know much abt consultancy. I decided late to fill this FMS form.....actually I dnt hv as such any long term goal...most of d guys goes for MBA w/o any long term goal in mind....i just find somewhere this "consultant" word......
    so cut in short i wanna say can u suggest a better form of thsi SOP......i know this is so silly to ask anyone,,,but due to time pressure(as last adte is approaching) & inexperience, i dnt hv much time to explore...
    See i admit that one has to right goals and stuff like that in the SOP ...but avoid writing a particular thing like consulting or any other for tht matter about which you dont have much idea

your SOP is good just change teh starting line something like and for word limit cut the FMS praise part a bit

a brilliant point you have mentioned is about value addition...just sharpen it a bit...rest its good

Neophyte
    Locn
    New Delhi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

See i admit that one has to right goals and stuff like that in the SOP ...but avoid writing a particular thing like consulting or any other for tht matter about which you dont have much idea

your SOP is good just change teh starting line something like and for word limit cut the FMS praise part a bit

a brilliant point you have mentioned is about value addition...just sharpen it a bit...rest its good[/quote]

Hi,

but we have to mention long term goals & how only FMS can help them in achieving......

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sam@123

a brilliant point you have mentioned is about value addition...just sharpen it a bit...rest its good
    Hi,

but we have to mention long term goals & how only FMS can help them in achieving......[/quote]

ok but then you have to research about consulting because the panel will grill you on this in the interview...goals can be a position of responsibility also

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

Hey does anyone have any of the previous fms question papers?
    If so, can u please mail it to me at ***snipped***
    I would be very grateful.
    Last edited by apoorv.sharma; 05-Mar-09 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 917 Times
    in 558 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giggs
    Hey does anyone have any of the previous fms question papers?
    If so, can u please mail it to me at ***snipped***
    I would be very grateful.
    have mailed you the paper enjoy
    Last edited by apoorv.sharma; 05-Mar-09 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    in 2 Posts

have mailed you the paper enjoy
    Thank you
    Good luck for ur test...