FORUM  

TestFunda will be down for maintenance on Thursday, 03rd August 2017 from 08:30 AM to 10:30 AM.

Recent Posts  |   Recent Topics  |   FAQ  |   Search  |   Forum Actions  |   Quick Links Prizes

Notices

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times
    in 797 Posts

Default My CAT 2010 experience

Use this thread to put up your CAT 2010 test taking experiences.

Intern
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 6 Times
    in 3 Posts

Post My CAT 2010 experience

Guyyyz. went and appeared for CAT today and have to say that was completely relieved by the way it was conducted . The way it was conducted by Prometric was way better than last yr and I can say this with a lot of confidence as I had the same centre in 2009 as well as today. However, note that if u are going to the Thakur College centre in Mumbai, please DO NOT carry any bag with you. Last yr we were allowed to carry the bag inside the college. Today, we had to keep it with a shopkeeper across the road. :forkoff: And Prometric being Prometric, there had to some glitch in the way the test was conducted. The invigilators were CONFUSED whether to allow the tutorial or not and if yes, when to start the tutorial. However, it got sorted out quite soon. Due to the NDA, can't talk about the paper but in general, was similar to 2009. The overall experience was much better than last yr.

varuntibrewalCAT 2010 slot-(27-Oct-10: 10:00 AM Session, Thakur College of Science and Commerce)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to varuntibrewal For This Useful Post:

bharat27 (27-Oct-10), implex (27-Oct-10), styxnexus (27-Oct-10), sumit2goody (27-Oct-10)

Neophyte
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Thanx for sharing your experiences of ur CAT-2010. The information would be pretty useful. My test date is on 31.10.10 n regarding the computers being not desk-mounted, is it applicable for all centres?

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 305 Times
    in 203 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rimlee View Post
    Thanx for sharing your experiences of ur CAT-2010. The information would be pretty useful. My test date is on 31.10.10 n regarding the computers being not desk-mounted, is it applicable for all centres?
    It depends on the infrastructure available at your center.

Thanks
    Thanked 488 Times
    in 272 Posts

Yes, it totally depends on the center. I had a 1-2 friends who gave it on a desk-mounted comp but most others said that it was like usual.

One suggestion that I can give is try and get in touch with someone who has the same center as yours & is giving the exam before you...he/she might tell you how its like in your center.
    PGDIM NITIE Mumbai 2011-13

CAT 2011 : Quant |DI/LR/DS

New thread : Word Usage

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

I had my exam yesterday. I reached the centre at around 8 AM, but after all the official processes of checking-in etc, it was all the more BORING before the start of the test as we were made to sit on our allocated machines and do nothing but "pass the time" somehow. I wished I had come a little later probably 9 AM as the officials never created any issues for the late comers who were actually benefited ever after turning late. So, in my sleepy mood (none was allowed to go to the loo after 9:30 AM ... Hope each one of you actually answers nature calls first), I started off with test, initially with the tutorial. I will suggest everyone to carefully go through it as it HELPS. Then, I took up Quant first, DI next and the VA finally. No big issues were faced in any of them, except in one in which a subset or super set symbol was looking like a square box due to the incapability of machine software in recognizing it. Quant section was very easy, in fact easier than any of the tests that one might take in order to prepare for CAT. Same goes with DI as these, I thought were given to ease one's way through the test . I found VA a bit tough (same happens each time for me :-)). But for someone who is in loop of studying for CAT thoroughly, will not find issues with such a test. I will say it was an easy-moderate leveled one. But at the same time, I expect the cut-offs to go higher. Be prepared!!! All the best!

sunitsethiCAT 2010 slot-(27-Oct-10: 10:00 AM Session, Delhi School of Professional Studies and Research)

Neophyte
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tusharsem View Post
    Yes, it totally depends on the center. I had a 1-2 friends who gave it on a desk-mounted comp but most others said that it was like usual.

One suggestion that I can give is try and get in touch with someone who has the same center as yours & is giving the exam before you...he/she might tell you how its like in your center.

Thanx ya.

RimleeCAT 2010 slot-(empty: empty, empty)

Neophyte
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by implex View Post
    It depends on the infrastructure available at your center.

Yes. Non-desk-mounted computers would again be a new thing. Lets c. Thanx thou.

RimleeCAT 2010 slot-(empty: empty, empty)

Aficionado
    Thanks
    Thanked 6 Times
    in 2 Posts

8:00 am in the morning I was at the centre and looking around for a plush computer lab where THE CAT was going to be held. How dissappointed I was to see a warehouse instead of a lab! There was a huge line of students waiting to get in for their security checks and biometrics. I stood in the line for a while and then realised there was just one place to sit and immediately ran there and sat down after deciding that I would be the last one to enter the lab. My experience in taking CAT (yes, this is my third attempt) has taught me that it doesn't help thinking about the test while at the centre, it instead helps if you think about everything else except the test. So I just let my thoughts run wild. The first stop they took was my office. After all I had bunked work that day. I was in my Boss's cabin and saying...I am going to A.....I I M A! My boss was staring at me with a pitiable expression on his face! This made me smile and I noticed people in the queue staring at me. Specially a girl...what a bag she had. It was bright red with a honey comb design. Wish I could go and ask her where she got it from. And then I saw all the various types of jeans. My wardrobe lacked so many of them. I have to do something about it. Then a pigeon came out of nowhere and showered good luck on a student. I looked up and was relieved to note that there was no place for it to perch above my head. Suddenly two dogs caught my attention. They were staring at the queue with a shocked expression on their faces. They probably had never ever seen a queue. One dog actually started behaving as if it was contemplating joining the queue but abandoned the idea after realising it was too much of an effort to stand there quietly. It instead concentrated on sniffing the tyre of a vehicle parked nearby. Looking at those dogs reminded me of cats and then the CAT and I looked at the queue. It was time for me to join it. I got up, yawned and went in.
    The biometrics happened soon. I don't know how they use the biometric info. What do they do with it? Do they check if you are the same person who took the test when you go for the interview? Or are they trying to pool finger prints and analyse the psychological make up of lakhs of CAT aspirants who actually know they will never get into the IIMs but still behave as if they think they will? Anyway, I soon entered the lab and started my test. Question after question came in...no surprise in this...I couldn't attempt many...no surprise here either. By the time I reached the end of the test I had travelled the length and breadth of the alphabet and my dream of saying I I M A to my boss had almost reached R. (At the moment I am hoping that they come up with an IIM Z soon...)
    The lab was like a crowded local train. If one person in my row tried to move his chair, all the chairs in the row moved as if they were connected by a sophisticated gear system. It was an engineering marvel...the gear system worked without teeth, it was only the chair handles that stuck to each other like a flexible but majboot fevicol ka jod. The man who entered the username and password on my machine was worried that I would try and hack their system and told me to look at the wall while he entered the password. I did look away, but he still didn't trust me and lifted the keyboard and held it in his hands gave it a 30 degree tilt down towards the computer screen and typed the password in that state ensuring that he typed it wrongly! It was only when I closed my eyes and covered my face with my hands that he became comfortable and typed it correctly.
    I don't know whether I will get any calls this year. For now I can only think of getting some reward points from TF for experiencing CAT 2010 and writing about it.

jomarchCAT 2010 slot-(27-Oct-10: 10:00 AM Session, Aura Tech)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jomarch For This Useful Post:

ajay_h (18-Nov-10), implex (29-Oct-10), munchkinrohit (30-Oct-10), tusharsem (28-Oct-10), vrama.gurubaran (06-Nov-10)

Neophyte
    Locn
    Kolhapur India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

every centre has a glass top table computer?
    Can i able to check youre test quetion?
    thx for giving most needed information

smbangadCAT 2010 slot-(empty: empty, empty)

Stranger
    Locn
    Mumbai India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jomarch View Post
    8:00 am in the morning I was at the centre and looking around for a plush computer lab where THE CAT was going to be held. How dissappointed I was to see a warehouse instead of a lab! There was a huge line of students waiting to get in for their security checks and biometrics. I stood in the line for a while and then realised there was just one place to sit and immediately ran there and sat down after deciding that I would be the last one to enter the lab. My experience in taking CAT (yes, this is my third attempt) has taught me that it doesn't help thinking about the test while at the centre, it instead helps if you think about everything else except the test. So I just let my thoughts run wild. The first stop they took was my office. After all I had bunked work that day. I was in my Boss's cabin and saying...I am going to A.....I I M A! My boss was staring at me with a pitiable expression on his face! This made me smile and I noticed people in the queue staring at me. Specially a girl...what a bag she had. It was bright red with a honey comb design. Wish I could go and ask her where she got it from. And then I saw all the various types of jeans. My wardrobe lacked so many of them. I have to do something about it. Then a pigeon came out of nowhere and showered good luck on a student. I looked up and was relieved to note that there was no place for it to perch above my head. Suddenly two dogs caught my attention. They were staring at the queue with a shocked expression on their faces. They probably had never ever seen a queue. One dog actually started behaving as if it was contemplating joining the queue but abandoned the idea after realising it was too much of an effort to stand there quietly. It instead concentrated on sniffing the tyre of a vehicle parked nearby. Looking at those dogs reminded me of cats and then the CAT and I looked at the queue. It was time for me to join it. I got up, yawned and went in.
    The biometrics happened soon. I don't know how they use the biometric info. What do they do with it? Do they check if you are the same person who took the test when you go for the interview? Or are they trying to pool finger prints and analyse the psychological make up of lakhs of CAT aspirants who actually know they will never get into the IIMs but still behave as if they think they will? Anyway, I soon entered the lab and started my test. Question after question came in...no surprise in this...I couldn't attempt many...no surprise here either. By the time I reached the end of the test I had travelled the length and breadth of the alphabet and my dream of saying I I M A to my boss had almost reached R. (At the moment I am hoping that they come up with an IIM Z soon...)
    The lab was like a crowded local train. If one person in my row tried to move his chair, all the chairs in the row moved as if they were connected by a sophisticated gear system. It was an engineering marvel...the gear system worked without teeth, it was only the chair handles that stuck to each other like a flexible but majboot fevicol ka jod. The man who entered the username and password on my machine was worried that I would try and hack their system and told me to look at the wall while he entered the password. I did look away, but he still didn't trust me and lifted the keyboard and held it in his hands gave it a 30 degree tilt down towards the computer screen and typed the password in that state ensuring that he typed it wrongly! It was only when I closed my eyes and covered my face with my hands that he became comfortable and typed it correctly.
    I don't know whether I will get any calls this year. For now I can only think of getting some reward points from TF for experiencing CAT 2010 and writing about it.

jomarchCAT 2010 slot-(27-Oct-10: 10:00 AM Session, Aura Tech)

Dude you should start writing a novel.....superb skills you have, which i feel a writer should possess. you have excellent way of explaining (like that dog incident) with great details.
    Kudos to you!

Virtuoso
    Thanks
    Thanked 305 Times
    in 203 Posts

Nice one @jomarch

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Delhi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

@ jo march
    dude well done wid d writing
    exceptionally well!!
    but u forgot wt d guyz here r waitin 4
    EAGERLY
    so now done wid ur nice (chetan bhagat do-)
    can u plz share som tips or advices
    im waitin 4 it
    n im sure oders r also no different

jatin497CAT 2010 slot-(15-Nov-10: 10:00 AM Session, Asia Pacific Institute of Management)

Aficionado
    Thanks
    Thanked 6 Times
    in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jatin497 View Post
    @ jo march
    dude well done wid d writing
    exceptionally well!!
    but u forgot wt d guyz here r waitin 4
    EAGERLY
    so now done wid ur nice (chetan bhagat do-)
    can u plz share som tips or advices
    im waitin 4 it
    n im sure oders r also no different

jatin497CAT 2010 slot-(15-Nov-10: 10:00 AM Session, Asia Pacific Institute of Management)
    Hey Jatin,

I really have nothing more to add to the general things that are being said about CAT all over the place. Everyone knows everything that anyone is permitted to know (Thanks to the non-disclosure agreement). 60 questions, 3 sections, 2 hours 15 minutes, security checks, biometrics, long waits etc etc...

But thanks for reading my article

Jo

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Delhi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

No need 2 thank me buddy
    It was a delight 2 read it
    Im tellin u if u wanna bcom a writer, do it now
    dnt b a stupid like c.bhagat 1st wastin a seat at IIMA den choosin a career as writer
    y waste a seat n ur precious 2 yrs.

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Hyderabad India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

hey guysssss......
    I had been with cat yesterday...
    It was well gone ,Paper standard was moderate and the imp thing is to select the few which r just to answer using a small logics.....
    dnt miss that prepare well

07r91a0449CAT 2010 slot-(29-Oct-10: 10:00 AM Session, Chaitanya Bharti Institute of Technology)

Enthusiast
    Locn
    Coimbatore India
    Thanks

I took cat today... Though the test location is too far away from the city, the environment was conducive.. Regarding the exam,
    don take it for granted..it was moderately difficult...bt it's possible to attend 80% of the questions in each section..
    RCs are vague but easy... eliminating wrong options will help u.. RC,passage completion, word usage, jumbled sentences add up to 18 questions.. so be strong in these...
    DI - logical reasoning questions come around 9 to 12... but these are individual questions ..group questions r less..

PS - u ve to be really strong in order to attend almost all the questions..because there are only few straightforward questions..i'm sure that almost everyone will get questions from diverse topics.. probably there will be about 13-15 concepts...so be wise in ur decisions.. u'll surely get to solve about 12-13 questions if u judiciously select questions...
    one more thing try to give equal importance to all the sections..
    all the best to all of u who r yet to take.. surely u'll crack it and scale the CAT summit...

busybeeCAT 2010 slot-(30-Oct-10: 10:00 AM Session, KPR Knowledge City, Arasur)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to busybee For This Useful Post:

munchkinrohit (30-Oct-10), namrata23 (31-Oct-10), tusharsem (31-Oct-10)

Neophyte
    Locn
    Delhi India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

i could do with such humour on the lead up to the grand finale

Neophyte
    Locn
    Kolkata India
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

how important is learning large no. of new words meaning

rajivbantee@gmail.comCAT 2010 slot-(empty: empty, empty)

Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    in 0 Posts

As the day start i went to my destination. When reach it i checked it with the people weather it is right or wrong place?

At 1:30 sharp we went for security check and then after 1 hour all the check is over. they provide you bags for your and any other item But on the same time refuse to take liability too. So better to go with the most necessitous items.

After that they provide break to you for refreshment and was the last break before exam.

At sharp 3.30 the exam starts Nothing new then previous year. the same tutorial is there. But better to go with it as you got cleared with you doubts and go in with confidence.

There are certain points which are very important for students.
    1. BE careful on mark the answers. Because if you click on the options line even in the blank part of the line it get ticked.
    means if you tick A and then click on the blank part which lies in the line of option D it ticks option D. So be careful.

2. Not even dare to look around just for anything. Prometric guys are very strict they end your test on the spot.

3.Most important part is review there is no option to close review the only way is to click on some question. If you press close it means you are about to close and submit test. So careful when uses review.

4. Be active in some part on your side. if your tip is broken immidietly asked for another it takes some though they give you two but never take chances minutes are the important part in cat.

So best of luck cat aspirants

jparikhb1990CAT 2010 slot-(30-Oct-10: 3:30 PM Session, LJ Institute of Management Studies)